Date Posted: Dec 5, 2018
The incumbent will support a research program funded by US Department of Energy and significantly contribute to the success of this program. The incumbent will also assist with training graduate students and help with writing research proposals. Anticipated start date is April 3, 2017.
Specific responsibilities include: perform research on nanostructured steels; conduct different experiments including mechanical testing, thermal annealing, and microstructural characterization utilizing different techniques such as transmission electron microscopy and atom probe tomography; provide input into design of neutron irradiation; characterize microstructure and mechanical behavior of ion irradiated materials; analyze experimental results; integrate experimental results with modelling results; prepare presentations and write research articles and reports; interact with other researchers in the team; assist with training graduate students; help with writing research proposals.
• The successful applicant will have completed a PhD within the past five years in Materials Science and Engineering or a closely related discipline such as Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering or Physics (ABD considered).
• A record of first author publications.
• Must be available to begin work within the next six (6) months.
• Good experience in transmission electron microscopy and mechanical behavior of materials
• Strong background in materials science and engineering especially in metallic materials
• Knowledge of irradiation effects in materials; strong publication record.
Please submit the following documents with your application:
Resume; Cover Letter; Unofficial Transcripts; A list of three (3) professional References with contact information; and a brief Research Statement which addresses research accomplishments, research interests, and how these align with the responsibilities for this position, not to exceed two (2) pages.
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 1, 2017. However, the position will remain open until filled. Approved salary is $40,000 annually, commensurate with education and experience. Includes a competitive benefits package. Offers of employment may be conditional pending successful completion of a background investigation.