Date Posted: Dec 21, 2018
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Description: The Lakkaraju laboratory at the UCSF School of Medicine is recruiting a highly motivated and creative scientist to join our group as a postdoctoral associate to investigate pathological mechanisms in age-related and inherited macular degenerations. The candidate will join a dynamic and collaborative research environment that offers exceptional training in retinal cell biology, retinal degenerations, high-speed and super-resolution imaging, and translational drug discovery.
Research: Our research aims to identify mechanisms that drive pathology in macular degenerations, which cause vision loss in over 30 million people globally. Current research focuses on molecularly dissecting homeostatic pathways such as autophagy and lysosome function, mitochondrial dynamics, complement-mediated inflammation in the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) to understand how they contribute to disease. We use advanced live imaging, genome surgery, stem cells, and mouse models to address these questions. Our ultimate goal is to design effective therapies that safeguard healthy vision. Our research is supported by the NIH and private foundations.
• PhD, MD, or MD/PhD
• Strong background in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology and vision research
• Productive publication record
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and within a team.
• Candidates with experience in vision research, genome editing, mouse models, and live imaging are especially welcome.
• Individualized mentorship tailored towards their personal and scientific goals.
• Opportunities to present research at national and international meetings, apply for independent funding, mentor graduate and undergraduate students in the lab.
• Support of a formal postdoctoral training program that focuses on mentoring, networking, and recognition.
• Generous scientific resources, stipends, and supplemental salary support.
Apply: Interested applicants should contact Aparna Lakkaraju at Aparna.Lakkaraju@ucsf.edu with a CV, statement of research interests and contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.