Date Posted: Jan 10, 2019
Application Deadline: Jan 31, 2019
present in patient tumor samples, use that information to learn about the biology of head and neck tumor cells, and translate that understanding back to the clinic to improve treatment for patients.
• Courtesy: Is respectful and courteous to each other at all times
• Friendliness/Teamwork: Promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness; Is sensitive to the concerns of our patients and our co-workers
• Reliability: Communicates frequently, honestly and openly
• Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for practicing our values
• Safety: Notices a safety concern and brings it to someone’s attention; Models safe behaviors (wears badge, washes hands, keeps work area clean and orderly); Mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices
• Responsiveness: By his/her actions, creates an environment of trust; Encourages learning, creativity and new ideas
• Personal Leadership/Self-Initiative: Helps others to identify and solve problems; Seeks personal growth and enables others to do so
1. To perform:
- Utilize various types of genomic data (including; mutation, gene expression, copy number variation, and protein expression) from tumor samples and cell lines and perform computational analyses to identify new biological insights.
- Analyze and interpret the results obtained by the image software.
- Evaluation of different tissue formats such as whole tissue sections, tissue microarray
- Enter the data from tissue quality control and image analysis results in dedicated databases and maintain the databases.
- Assist in coordinating the logistics with study material (internally and/or externally collaborators).
2. To assist with development of and maintaining databases:
- Generate documents on computer using word, excel and other software (including; JMP, Prism, and SPSS)
- Online tools (including; IPA, Gene Ontology, and GSEA).
- Collaborations with experts in bioinformatics will also be necessary to complete more complex and computationally intensive analyses.
- Generate new genomic data from samples.
3. To assist with:
- Coordinate sample collection, information annotation, nucleotide isolation, sample submission for genomic analysis, data quality control and subsequent analysis, as described above.
- Assist in laboratory based mechanistic and/or validation studies related to the genomic findings. These may include tumor protein analysis by immunohistochemistry, cancer cell line molecular biology studies, and/or mechanistic studies in mouse models.
- Prepare reports of their findings for the Principle Investigator, give presentations to the research team, prepare manuscripts for publication, and assist with grant applications.
4. To maintain a high level of professional expertise and credibility through educational programs,
including on-site training / off-site conferences:
- Attend department research meetings and conferences.
- Attend approved off-site meetings and conferences.
- Supplement education as needed through use of reference materials, lectures, etc.
- Be punctual in arriving at all professional functions.
The above functions require the following abilities and skills:
• Knowledge of histology
• Ability to practice independently, strong verbal and written communication skills, organizational and critical judgment skills, and ability to interact effectively with co-workers.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work with personal computers using standard word processing software, spreadsheets, and programs for database and graphics usage.
• English language, including spelling, writing, and verbalizing and ability to communicate well verbally and in writing.
• Flexibility and multitasking
M. D. Anderson Cancer Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability or veteran status except where such distinction is required by law. All positions at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center are security sensitive and subject to examination of criminal history record information. Smoke-free and drug-free environment.