Postdoctoral Appointee - Neuromorphic Computing for Science
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7087694 (Ref #: ANL-411616)
- Posting Date: Oct 22, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Mathematics and Computer Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory seeks well-prepared candidates for a postdoctoral position in neuromorphic computing. In this role you will be performing research in design and development of neuromorphic algorithms, and leveraging the developed methods for scientific applications that require low-latency, power/energy-efficient, online learning and inference. Photonic and analog neuromorphic systems are of particular interest. Methods will be evaluated for edge computing and control applications at Argonne’s world-class experimental facilities such as Advanced Photon Source (https://www.aps.anl.gov/) and Tandem Linac Accelerator System (https://www.anl.gov/phy-0).
You will actively collaborate with computer scientists, mathematicians, materials, and experimental scientists and have the opportunity to build an independent research program. You will have the opportunity to use advanced supercomputers across the Department of Energy computing facilities such as planned Aurora (>50,000 GPUs) exascale system (https://www.alcf.anl.gov/aurora) at the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility to design and develop neuromorphic algorithms at scale.
- PhD in computer science, mathematics, statistics, or a related discipline (completed within the last 3 years, or soon to be completed)
- Graduate/postgraduate research in machine learning, computer science, and/or mathematical optimization
- Programming experience in Tensorflow, Pytorch, JAX/Flax
Desired, but not required:
- Spiking neural networks, analog neuromorphic system, or neuromorphic photonics
- Hardware/software co-design, edge-computing
- Experience in interdisciplinary research involving computer scientists/mathematicians and discipline scientists
- Proposal development
- Ability to work well with other laboratories and universities, supercomputer centers and industry
- Ability to provide project leadership as well as have collaborative skills
US citizenship is not required.
Openings are available immediately, but there is flexibility in start dates.
More information on foundational machine learning work at Argonne may be found at https://www.anl.gov/mcs/lans.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.