Research Fellow - Translational Neuroimmunology
- Mayo Clinic
- Location: Rochester, MN
- Job Number: 7090558
- Posting Date: Dec 13, 2021
- Application Deadline: Feb 13, 2022
Job DescriptionThe Research shield at Mayo Clinic is committed to creating a diverse environment and recognizes that diverse research teams make better decisions, are more equipped to solve complex problems and adapt to change, and produce better outcomes. That diversity is about opening up to unconventional ideas that create better outcomes, while recognizing colleagues' unique contributions. Become part of the legacy that embraces these differences and enables us to provide the best care to patients from all over the world.
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
A postdoctoral Research Fellow position is available in the Translational Neuroimmunology Lab directed by Dr. Charles Howe at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. The recruited postdoctoral fellow will work to expand our repertoire of human neural organoids, with an emphasis on developing a neuronal stimulation paradigm that induces neuroprotective and/or neuroregenerative extracellular vesicle release from patient-derived autologous iPSC-derived neurons and neural organoids.
The Research Fellow role will involve:
* Developing this biologic product as a therapeutic strategy in preclinical models of multiple sclerosis
* Leading the team moving this strategy into clinical grade biomanufacturing
* Working closely with a diverse team of scientists
The successful candidate should possess:
* A PhD, MD, or equivalent doctoral degree with up to 2 years postdoctoral experience
* Expertise in iPSCs and neural organoids and/or extensive experience with human and preclinical models of multiple sclerosis.
* A neuroscience, immunology, or regenerative medicine background
* Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to work in a team
* A strong work ethic, evidenced by a strong research publication record
* Traditional aspirations for an academic research career.
Applicants should submit a CV, including a full list of publications, a cover letter detailing how their expertise and training will contribute to the research described above, a brief career plan, and the name and contact information for three references to: Charles Howe, PhD, at [email protected] A zoom interview and research presentation are required for consideration.
A Research Fellow at Mayo Clinic is a temporary position intended to provide training and education in research. Individuals will train in the research program of a Mayo Clinic principal investigator. Qualified individuals will demonstrate the potential for research as evidenced by their training and peer-reviewed publications and should become competitive for national research grants. Proof of English proficiency is required for J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors, Specialists, and Student Interns sponsored by Mayo Clinic.
The following is required for completeness of application:
* Current curriculum vitae with bibliography
* Proof of doctoral degree (copy of diploma or final transcript with English translation, if applicable) or a letter from your university's Registrar office indicating you have fulfilled all doctoral program requirements and are eligible to graduate.
Please also be prepared that you may be asked to provide three letters of recommendation to the hiring PI prior to an interview. Must have a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent doctoral degree in a field deemed relevant by the program. Research Fellow is appropriate for individuals who have completed no more than one prior postdoctoral fellowship, at Mayo Clinic or elsewhere.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.