Date Posted: Jan 11, 2018
The H. Lee Moffitt Cancer and Research Institute is a modern facility in Tampa, Florida. We strive to be the leader in understanding in the complexity of cancer through team science and applying those insights for human benefits. Be part of the cure by joining Moffitt's team of 800 research faculty scientists, career staff scientists, postdocs, graduate students and support staff dedicated to cancer research.
The Luca's Lab at Moffitt Cancer Center is seeking postdoctoral researchers interested in designing synthetic protein ligands to modulate the activity of cancer-associated receptors.
• We use a multidisciplinary approach that integrates structural and cellular biology with cutting edge protein engineering techniques, such as directed evolution, to understand signaling mechanisms at the molecular level.
• Specifically, these positions involve (i) visualizing how unusual posttranslational modifications in the extracellular space tune receptor activity, and (ii) engineering biologics to bypass cellular regulatory mechanisms and control receptor function.
• Candidates will work with a team of medicinal chemists, immunologists and clinicians to conduct translational research in a highly collaborative environment.
The Ideal Candidate:
• The successful candidate is a creative, highly motivated individual
• Demonstrated expertise in protein biochemistry and molecular biology
• Expertise in x-ray crystallography is desired but not necessary
• The ability to multi-task on different projects is critical, and excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Candidates will be responsible for conducting independent research projects under the supervision of Dr. Luca.
• Scientific responsibilities include the use of directed evolution to engineer proteins with enhanced functional properties, expression and purification of proteins from eukaryotic systems, biophysical characterization of protein-protein interactions, and x-ray crystal structure determination of signaling protein complexes.
• Candidates will be actively involved in the mentorship of students and technicians, and will participate in the composition of manuscripts and postdoctoral fellowships.
Credentials and Qualifications:
• Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Biophysics or a related field.
• Experience in initiating, conducting, evaluating and reporting of research studies is preferred.
• Demonstrated pre-doctoral working knowledge of research methodologies in an area of research.
The Moffitt Cancer Center is a rapidly expanding, NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center that includes state of the art core facilities to support basic research. Moffitt Cancer Center is located within the coastal community of Tampa Bay and is adjacent to the University of South Florida School of Medicine.
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three references to Vince.Luca@moffitt.org
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and a drug free workplace