Date Posted: Feb 25, 2019
Application Deadline: Mar 27, 2019
- Ames Laboratory
- Location: Ames, IA
- Job Number: 7056167
- Posting Date: Feb 25, 2019
- Application Deadline:
Mar 27, 2019
The Division of Materials Science and Engineering at the Ames Laboratory, a Department of Energy National Laboratory affiliated with Iowa State University, is searching for a qualified Postdoctoral Research Associate.
The postdoctoral research associate will engage in research activities aimed at alloy design for advanced solidification processing (e.g. additive manufacturing). Responsibilities will include extensive use of commercial software (e.g. ThermoCalc, DICTRA, PRISMA) for CALPHAD-based assessments of solidification behavior in multicomponent alloys. Additional responsibilities will include developing data handling and post-processing codes (C/C++) for data analysis and data-driven alloy design. The position requires close interaction with experiment-focused team members and interpretation of experimental results, requiring familiarity with alloy microstructures and knowledge of experimental methods for microstructural analysis. Responsibilities include the preparation of manuscripts and presentations for broad publication.
The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and will be expected to communicate effectively in formal and informal settings. The individual must be able to work effectively with team members having a broad range of technical backgrounds. The position requires excellent organization, data management, and documentation skills.
• Ph.D. completed prior to start date.
• Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering or closely related field.
• Demonstrated experience with ThermoCalc software (including DICTRA) with a record of published results.
• Experience with C/C++ programming language.
• Thesis research or other documented background in thermodynamic analysis of multicomponent alloys.
• Experience in the analysis and design of commercial Ni and/or Al alloys.
• Formal training in ThermoCalc, DICTRA, and PRISMA.
• Experience with standard techniques of materials analysis (e.g. SEM, TEM, DSC, XRD, EPMA).
• Experience with VASP software.
• Demonstrated experience in optical microscopy and e-beam microanalytical techniques
Interested candidates should submit 1) a cover letter detailing specific experience; 2) current C.V.; and 3) contact information for three (3) references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Iowa State University does not discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identify, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 350 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa 50011, Tel. 515-294-7612, email: email@example.com.