Date Posted: Jun 10, 2019
Position Summary: We are seeking a postdoctoral fellow to conduct novel research in the funded laboratory of Dr. Michael VanSaun with a focus on understanding molecular mechanisms of cancer progression. Post-docs will learn methods appropriate to the field, learn grant writing skills, and complete an original research project in preparation for independent researcher careers.
• Research Overview: Conduct research in pancreatic and/or liver cancer development and progression. The main focus of the laboratory is to understand the impact of obesity on cancer and the tumor microenvironment. Position is adaptable to a wide range of skills and will use bench experiments, cell culture and animal studies to investigate novel mechanisms of cancer development, progression, and therapeutic sensitivity/resistance.
• Expectations: The Postdoc will be expected to complete research projects under the guidance of the faculty mentor, record and interpret the results of their experiments in a laboratory notebook, prepare publication-quality manuscripts (including figures and tables) and publish in peer-reviewed literature. The applicant will also read literature articles, develop new ideas, and assimilate the information into his/her project design/interpretation.
• Lab skills: perform studies utilizing transfection, gene expression through qPCR and microarrays, protein analysis through phospho and immunoblots, cell culture, overexpression, CRISPR, animal breeding and husbandry, flow cytometry, ChIP, EMSA, electrophoresis, etc. Learn/develop new and cutting-edge methods required to perform independent, peer-reviewed research.
• Compliance: Attend and maintain compliance on all orientation and training sessions designated by the University and the Cancer Biology Department, understand and follow IACUC and biosafety protocols, and attend departmental seminars and regular lab meetings.
• Submit fellowship applications, as eligible, to bolster research funding and CV building for his/her project.
• Interact with KU Cancer Center donors and local cancer affiliates.
• Qualified candidates must have PhD, MD, DVM (or equiv) in Biological/Life Sciences from an accredited institution, excellent verbal and written English skills, and experience with genetic mouse models. All applicants should also have basic bench skills (as listed in lab duties).
• Preferred applicant should be both innovative and highly motivated with broader sense of understanding in cancer biology, immunology, epigenetics and or/ metabolomics. Applicants with first author scientific publications of I.F.>5 will be given preference. The candidate should be able to independently take lead on research projects.
KU Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
To learn more and apply online, please visit https://jobs.kumc.edu/postings/24053 or go to https://jobs.kumc.edu/ and search for position number 01202778.
*Applications must be submitted directly through the KU Medical Center website to be considered for this position. Any applications submitted via email or this website will NOT be reviewed or considered.
About KU Medical Center:
The University of Kansas Medical Center’s mission is to educate exceptional health care professionals through a full range of undergraduate, graduate, professional, postdoctoral and continuing education programs in the schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions. KU Medical Center also advances the health sciences through world-class research programs; provides compassionate and state-of-the-art patient care in an academic medical center environment; and works with communities in every Kansas county to improve the health of Kansans. Learn more at www.kumc.edu.
KU Medical Center proudly offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package through the state of Kansas, with flexible options designed to meet the diverse needs of our faculty and staff. To learn more about our options for medical, vision, dental and other insurances, as well as our generous time off policies and retirement options, please visit http://www.kumc.edu/human-resources/benefitsrewards.html.