Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Biomaterials for Photoacoustic Imaging
- UC San Diego/FDA
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Job Number: 7061072
- Posting Date: Oct 6, 2019
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionThe Jacobs School of Engineering at UC San Diego is currently inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship via the National Science Foundation’s Scholar-in-Residence Program with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The work will be performed in Silver Spring, Maryland near Washington, DC.
The Fellow will perform research on biomaterials that recapitulate the optical and acoustic properties of human tissue. These materials will then be used to construct tissue-mimicking phantoms for characterization and image quality assessment of novel and established photoacoustic (optoacoustic) imaging equipment available at FDA and UCSD. This research will involve development and characterization of advanced polymeric materials and dopants, fabrication of phantoms containing biorealistic imaging targets, and performing imaging experiments and data analysis.
An ideal candidate will have:
- A PhD in materials science, chemistry, biomedical engineering, or related field.
- Prior research experience in light-tissue interactions, pulsed lasers, plasmonic nanoparticles, photoacoustics, microscopy, and/or spectroscopy
- An academic background that includes coursework in materials science, biophotonics, and medical imaging.
- Expertise with lasers and optical detection and imaging systems
- Experience with in vivo optical imaging and image processing
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in our highly collaborative team environment
- A strong work ethic and desire to perform world-class research, author journal articles, present research at scientific conferences and improve public health
The position is full-time for one year with the option to extend dependent on Fellow performance and available funding. Note that the Fellow will be employed by UC San Diego but that most work will be done at FDA (FDA supervisor: Dr. William Vogt). Regular travel is to be expected. Salary will be based on experience and will use the NIH scale. Relocation funds are potentially available for highly competitive persons. This is a temporary, contract fellowship and not a federal employee position. US citizenship/green card is not required, but non-citizen applicants must have resided in the US for 3 of the past 5 years. Full-time graduate students and postdoctoral researchers at US-based institutions will generally meet this requirement. Please send a CV and contact information for two references to Dr. Jesse Jokerst (email@example.com)