Postdoctoral Fellow - T Cell Receptor Signalling - Wang Laboratory
- City of Hope
- Location: Duarte, CA
- Job Number: 7062334 (Ref #: 10004572)
- Posting Date: Dec 4, 2019
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available in the laboratory of Leo D. Wang, MD, PhD, at City of Hope, Duarte, CA.
Do you love immunology, particularly T cell receptor signaling?
Are you interested in applying that knowledge to help develop new cancer therapies?
Are you excited to design, lead, and implement your own projects?
We are recruiting enthusiastic, motivated scientists who are seeking a fast-paced, team-based academic research environment. Our lab in the Department of Immuno-oncology focuses on how blood and immune cells develop, function, and interact with other cells, with a second focus on how blood stem cells become malignant. We use mass spectrometry to identify activated protein circuits in rare blood stem and progenitor cell populations, including therapeutic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cells, and combine that knowledge with fundamental immunological principles to improve and devise new therapies for pediatric cancers and blood disorders.
To learn more about our research, visit: www.leowanglab.org or https://www.cityofhope.org/research/beckman-research-institute/research-departments-and-divisions/immuno-oncology/leo-wang-lab/leo-wang-lab-research
Key Responsibilities include:
- Design and lead multiple projects focused on understanding CAR signaling in brain-tumor-targeted CAR T cells, using canonical TCR signaling as a fundamental framework. Both in vitro and in vivo rodent work will be required.
- Coordinate lab tasks and operations among multiple lab members, including ordering, inventory, and other essential lab functions.
- Prepare laboratory reagents, chemicals, instruments, and maintain equipment.
- Keep detailed and accurate logs of experiments from conception to analysis, as well as of lab inventory and rodent colonies.
- Record data meticulously and analyze and synthesize results using industry standard application suites.
- Help to prepare presentations and manuscripts for publication.
- Initiate and maintain collaborations with other labs.
- Travel to meetings to represent the lab and to present new data.
Candidates will receive training in the safe handling of toxic chemicals, biohazards, animals, radiation, and other reagents.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Ph.D. in immunology or related field. Expertise with flow cytometry, immunologic assays, cell culture, and molecular biology techniques is required. Experience with high-resolution imaging platforms and mass cytometry (CyTOF) or mass spectrometry is a plus.
- Ideal candidates will be highly motivated and have ambitions to further develop scientific and career skills. They will have a desire to be challenged and to learn new scientific strategies and techniques.
- Ability to work productively and meticulously.
- Ability to develop cohesive team relationships.
- Extensive prior experience in immunology or a closely related field.
- Programming experience (R, Python), preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to structure tasks logically and effectively, organize, and set priorities.
- Ability to respond effectively to constructive feedback.
- Ability to analyze data statistically and to present it logically.