Data Scientist at DTU Biosustain
- The Synthetic Biology Tools for Yeast section at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (CfB), Technical University of Denmark
- Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
- Job Number: 7062497
- Posting Date: Nov 26, 2019
- Application Deadline: Jan 5, 2020
Job DescriptionThe Synthetic Biology Tools for Yeast section at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain), at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), is seeking an omics data analyst for plant biosynthetic pathway discovery.
DTU Biosustain is focused on developing the next generation of cell factories deploying advanced metabolic engineering techniques, and the development of bioprocesses for a sustainable production of chemicals and high value compounds.
Focus and scope
The Synthetic Biology Tools for Yeast group is focused on refactoring of plant biosynthetic pathways for human therapeutics manufacturing in microbial cells. The competencies in our laboratory, led by Prof. Jay D. Keasling and Dr. Jie Zhang, focus on the use synthetic biology to engineer microbes for production of therapeutics otherwise difficult to source. To strengthen our team’s translational R&D activities, and further advance our visions for delivery of new supply chains for bioactive natural products we seek omics data analyst with a focus on:
• RNA-seq (assembly & quantification)
• Plant genome de novo assembly and biosynthetic gene mining
• Metabolomics Multivariate analysis
• Integrative analysis of multi-omics datasets
The candidate will be responsible for analyzing omics data derived from plant material, including de novo genome assembly based on short- and long-read sequencing, genome annotation based on RNA-seq, and pathway discovery based on metabolite profiles, co-expression analysis, and machine learning-guided biosynthetic pathway discovery to assist the engineering of microbes for production of lead bioactive compounds. The candidate is expected to closely collaborate with a team of 5-10 researchers with expertise within strain engineering, biochemistry, pathway discovery, and synthetic biology. Key responsibilities will include:
• QC, process and annotate omics data
• Perform integrated multi-variate data analysis
• Maintain database infrastructure
• Disseminate results to team
The ideal candidate will have:
• Solid omics data analysis background (partitioning/clustering/SVD/canonical analysis/experimental design)
• Strong skills in R & Python programming
• Experience with parallel computing
• Proven track-record of data management skills
• Strong oral and written skills in English
• Proactive attitude, enthusiasm, responsibility, team spirit and excellent collaboration skills
What we offer in return
We offer an exciting, collaborative, hard-working, and entrepreneurial team focusing on translational research and innovation with both societal and environmental impacts. The position offers a unique possibility of being a part of a team working on a truly translational project involving close collaboration with BDs and entrepreneurial experts. We place emphasis on a high level of professionalism in our team, so skills development and knowledge-transfer are integral parts of our agile well-resourced organization.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointments will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The job contract offered to the qualifying candidates would terminate by the end of 2022. Expected starting date: Flexible, but preferably Spring 2020.
Application and contact
Please submit your online application no later than 5 January 2020.
To view the full announcement and to apply: www.career.dtu.dk