Postdpctoral Research Fellow
- Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Location: Boston, MA
- Job Number: 7062689
- Posting Date: Dec 10, 2019
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionLocated in Boston, MA, Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) is an international leader in providing high quality healthcare in literally the majority of areas of medicine to our patients globally. BWH supports accelerating innovations and discoveries that help improving general human health. It is a unique environment in fostering medical innovations with the goal of improving human lives. Due to our attention to patients’ needs and our focus on differentiation, BWH has been continuously ranked as a top hospital by US News and World Report in medical areas such as gynecology, surgery, cardiology, cancer, infectious diseases, neurosurgery, and rheumatology. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
A postdoc position is available in the laboratory of micro/nanomedicine and digital health directed by Hadi Shafiee, PhD within the Department of Medicine, at BWH, Harvard Medical School (HMS).
We are interested in bringing together specialized knowledge from various scientific and engineering disciplines and applying them to solve real-life issues. One of our major focuses is developing and translating micro/nanotechnologies with clinical diagnostic applications in medicine and biology.
We are currently looking for eager Postdoctoral Fellows to assist in the development of low-cost, point-of-care diagnostics for rapid detection of infectious diseases/cancer through quantification of target bioagents, including biomarkers, bacterial pathogens, and viruses in biological samples such as whole blood, urine, and saliva. The successful candidates will be intimately involved in every stage of the biosensing device development, including the design, prototyping, optimization and validation.
Functioning very independently and leading highly interdisciplinary and complex bioengineering projects by daily mentorship of research technicians and undergraduate and graduate research trainees with broad backgrounds in engineering, biology, computer programing, and infectious diseases. The Postdoc / Research Scientist will also perform high level, complex research experiments. On a regular basis, s/he will contribute to scientific literature, reports and presentations. Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies for research advancement.
In addition to helping the Principal Investigator (PI) to achieve the aims of the currently active projects in the lab, the Postdoc / Research Scientist helps the PI to continuously develop novel ideas and open up new lines of relevant research in the lab with the potential in securing future funding from different sources such as NIH, DoD, NSF, etc. S/he will also help the PI in translational aspect of the projects and technologies developed in the lab.
Join us and fully embrace the fast pace environment at Brigham and the possibility to connect and team up with some of the best minds in clinical practice and research, not only within the hospital but also through other Harvard-affiliated hospitals (MGH, BIH, etc.), universities (MIT, Harvard, Boston University, etc.), and industries (Novartis, Pfizer, etc.) in Boston.
You can learn more about the work done at Shafiee Lab through our lab website via: https://shafieelab.bwh.harvard.edu.
• Develop microfluidic devices for point-of-care detection of infectious diseases
• Design and develop diagnostic assays (immunoassays and nucleic acid tests)
• Strong passion and experience in nano and microtechnologies
• Independently leads interdisciplinary teams with backgrounds in engineering and biology.
• Work closely with a range of scientists to design experimental protocols and develop workflows and pipelines for bioengineering projects that involves developing mobile health diagnostics and digital health systems.
• Researches, develops, designs, executes and interprets research experiments.
• Contributes for scientific literature, reports and presentations.
• Investigates, creates, and develops new methods and technologies for research advancement.
• Write/review reports, proposals, invention disclosures, and scientific articles
• Supervises undergraduate and graduate students and research technicians and provides training and troubleshooting to colleagues.
• Develops new lines of research in medicine specially at the interface of nanotechnology, consumer electronics, and machine learning.
• Other duties as assigned.
• PhD/MS in relevant field with experience in diagnostics, microfluidic systems, microfabrication, nanotechnology, and immunoassays.
• Strong communicational and organizational skills for collaborating with interdisciplinary teams of engineers, biologists, and virologists.
• Experience with electrochemical/optical biosensors
• Creativity, self-starter, tough-minded, self-confident, and attention to details
Additional Desirable Skills
• Prior graduate-level research in areas such as cell biology, microbiology, genetics, biochemistry, molecular biology, etc.
• Passion and experience in image processing, programming, and medical device prototyping.
• Experience in a variety of techniques used in nanotechnology such as Uv-vis spectroscopy, FTIR spectroscopy, ICPMass spectroscopy, TEM, SEM, etc.
• Experience in the development of portable optical-based sensors
• Proficiency in biochemical assays, immunochemistry, polymerase chain reaction (PCR), loop-medicated isothermal amplification (LAMP), ELISA, and cell culture.
• Experience in developing surface chemistry protocols on microfluidic devices.
• Experience with real time target protein/nanoparticle detection on-chip
• Experience with 3D modern rapid prototyping tools (3D printing, PDMS, laser cutter, etc)
• Proficiency in statistical analysis methods, including Bland Altman. Experience working with statistical analysis software such as prism and minitab
Keywords:Microfluidics, nanotechnology, infectious disease, point-of-care, diagnostics, virus, pathogen, optical sensing, smartphone, cellphone, portable optics, compute programing, virology, microbiology, deep learning, image processing.