Post-doctoral fellowship in Health Sciences Education Research.
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Location: Richmond, VA
- Job Number: 7063027
- Posting Date: Jan 13, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionDescription of the Job
The Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine’s Office of Assessment, Evaluation, and Scholarship (AES) invites applications for a post-doctoral fellowship opportunity in Health Sciences Education Research. The successful candidate will support ongoing curriculum assessment, evaluation and research projects while receiving advanced research training and mentorship from Virginia Commonwealth University faculty. AES has a strong group of researchers with seven faculty with doctoral degrees with expertise in education, interprofessional education, team science, human factors, simulation, and organizational psychology.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will have two major roles. First, the fellow will develop their own area of research using the expertise and mentoring of AES. Second, the fellow will engage in comprehensive program evaluation and student assessment relating to undergraduate medical education and will support the Director of Evaluation for UME and Human Factors. The Postdoctoral Fellow will also be responsible for continuing the maintenance and development of longitudinal database systems for use in research and evaluation at the School of Medicine.
While in the course of these responsibilities, the Postdoctoral Fellow will contribute to faculty development, institutional and professional service, and scholarship in medical education. This position reports to the Senior Associate Dean for the Office of Assessment, Evaluation, and Scholarship and will be mentored by the Director of Assessment and Evaluation Studies in Undergraduate Medical Education and Human Factors. This position works collaboratively with faculty in the Office of Assessment, Evaluation, and Scholarship as well as other School of Medicine departments and the VCU Health System to develop and implement evaluation and research strategies that assure: 1) continuous quality improvement in education, 2) implementation of inventive assessments and initiatives to stimulate educational innovations, and 3) scholarship in medical education or related areas (e.g. medical student well-being, adaptive learning, professional identity).
Specific responsibilities will include:
• Develop an area of expertise and scholarship.
• Engage in educational scholarship, contribute to grant submissions, and produce scholarly presentations and publications
• Supervise data collection and management essential for organizational self-study and robust program evaluation and improvement, including quantitative and qualitative analysis to enable longitudinal study
• Consult, make recommendations, and collaborate with faculty in ongoing review of formative and summative assessment strategies and program evaluation for continuous quality improvement in assessment to improve School of Medicine programs.
• Consult, make recommendations, and collaborate with others to initiate and support medical education research
• Assist in continued development of the longitudinal medical student data registry (MSDR)
The candidate will possess an MD, PhD or EdD with experience in evaluation and assessment and research in health professions education. Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to work in a complex educational environment. Demonstrated experience with data management (e.g., RedCap, Qualtrics, Excel) and data analysis (e.g., SPSS) software. Demonstrated skills related to the design, research and evaluation studies (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, mixed methods)
Demonstrated experience in the development and submission of research protocols to the IRB
Strong, foundational knowledge of relational database design. Operational experience and knowledge of structured query language (SQL), preferably Microsoft T-SQL . Basic understanding of data warehouse principles, specifically the extract, transform and load (ETL) process. Demonstrated skill in program evaluation with particular attention to continuous improvement processes and survey development and analysis. Demonstrated skill in implementing workplace student assessments and knowledgeable regarding assessment construction and validation. Quantitative and qualitative research skills to enable longitudinal study. Prior experience in medical education in evaluation or assessment