Postdoctoral Fellow/Microbiologist (215792)
- The Henry M. Jackson Foundation
- Location: Frederick, MD
- Job Number: 7065502
- Posting Date: Mar 23, 2020
Job DescriptionThe Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF) is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow/Microbiologist to support the Department of Microbiology located at Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the Department of Microbiology and USU.
Questions? Contact Christine Saint-Amand, Senior Recruiter, at email@example.com.
The incumbent will be responsible for initiating and carrying out research projects involved with the development of gonorrhea vaccine candidates using novel models of gonococcal genital tract infection within the laboratory of Dr. Ann Jerse in the Department of Microbiology at the Uniformed Services University.
The individual will be able to determine vaccine efficacy through immunization and challenge experiments. Additionally, immune response against vaccine candidates will be analyzed.
1. Assists in designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development.
2. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products.
3. Performs specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols which involves specialized procedures.
4. Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments.
5. Assists with the preparation of data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
6. May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of appropriate scientific area; ability to analyze and interpret data. Ability to perform specialized procedures such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs), assays of antibody function, western immunoblots, animal injections, bleedings and immunizations.
Minimum Education: Doctoral degree required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 0-5 years of experience required.
Work Environment: Set in a laboratory environment.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.