Post-doctoral researcher (5 positions)
- Dioscuri Centre for Physics and Chemistry of Bacteria, Institute of Physical Chemistry
- Location: Warsaw, Poland
- Job Number: 7068152
- Posting Date: Jul 23, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionThe newly created Dioscuri Centre for Physics and Chemistry of Bacteria invites applications for 5 postdoctoral researcher positions.
The Centre is co-funded by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, with additional support coming from NAWA.
The Centre is based at the Institute for Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland.
We seek excellent candidates with diverse background and skills to undertake research in the area of physics and chemistry of infections. Possible projects may include:
1) Development of a co-culture system for bacteria and epithelial cells
2) New methods for accurate, real-time, in situ measurement of bacterial growth
3) The structure and growth dynamics of intra-cellular colonies (in vivo biofilms)
4) Population dynamics of bacteria in complex fluids (such as mucus) and topologies (such as lung bronchioles)
5) Population dynamics of intracellular bacteria during antibiotic treatment
6) Bacterial growth on micro-patterned and dynamic surfaces
However, the Centre will offer a certain degree of autonomy to experienced candidates to pursue their own projects as long as they broadly align with the Centre’s research focus.
Candidates with limited experimental training but very strong skills in modelling/data analysis who are interested in combining modelling and experiments are also encouraged to apply.
Person Specification (Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed for the Job)
• PhD in biology, physics, chemistry, or engineering
• Very good academic achievements as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and talks/poster presentations at international conferences.
• Ability to draft (in English) scientific papers for academic journals.
• Ability to communicate (in English) complex information clearly, orally and in writing.
• Enthusiasm for learning about biological systems using quantitative methods.
• Ability to think creatively, propose and develop new ideas.
• Capability of working without close supervision, exercising a high degree of initiative and demonstrating a pro-active approach to work.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Research experience in biological physics, microbiology, systems biology, bioengineering, soft matter, physical chemistry, or another related topic.
• Experience in one or more of the following areas: optical imaging (microscopy: imaging biological samples, image processing, building custom-made microscopes); DNA/RNA isolation, library preparation and sequencing; genetic engineering of bacteria; bioreactors (chemostats, turbidostats); microfluidics; bacterial and/or cell tissue cultures; in vitro models of bacterial infections.
• Experience in cross-disciplinary and / or collaborative research projects.
• Ability to communicate with researchers or other project partners from other scientific backgrounds.
• Ability to adapt to new ideas and willingness to approach new challenges and adjust plans to suit new priorities.
• Ability to work hard and organise work so as to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to maintain a clean and well-organised laboratory environment and to set up and maintain a well-organised digital repository of experimental data and protocols.
• Potential for career advancement as an independent researcher.
• Experience in combining theoretical / computational and experimental work.
Each position is initially for 2 years and may be extended up to 5 years. The successful candidate will benefit from working in an international, interdisciplinary research group, a newly refurbished, modern lab and office space, and a competitive salary. The candidate will work closely with other experimentalists and modellers from the Dioscuri Centre and other IPC groups, and with theorists from the Department of Evolutionary Theory in MPI in Plön, Germany. The candidate will have the opportunity to regularly visit the MPI in Plön, and other research institutions (up to a few weeks/year).
Salary. Gross salary 1600 - 4600 EUR/month, approximately 7000 - 20000 PLN, depending on experience and role in the group.
A complete application should include the following items:
• motivation letter
• professional curriculum vitae
• list of publications
• personal data processing consent
• in addition, two letters of reference should be arranged to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
All documents (including the reference letters) should be emailed to email@example.com quoting “Rekrutacja nr 44/2020” in the subject line.
Applications must be submitted between 15 July and 15 September. Applications submitted after 15 September will not be considered. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis until all positions have been filled or the deadline has passed, whichever occurs first.
More information can be found on the Centre's website
Full job specification is available at