Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7068199
- Posting Date: Jul 24, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Function: Carrying out studies of lung inflammatory microenvironment and its role in the pathogenesis and promotion of lung cancer.
Scope: Enhance our understanding of inflammatory tumor microenvironment and immune-regulatory pathways in lung cancer and identify means to prevent progress from premalignant phase to malignant phase, and increase the efficacy of currently available immunotherapeutic modalities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Prepares and conducts in vivo studies of lung inflammation and lung cancer using mouse models, including breeding mutant mouse strains, and delivering treatments to mice.
2. Prepares and conducts ex vivo/in situ histologic analyses using the following techniques: animal dissection, tissue fixation, paraffin embedding, cryofixation, tissue sectioning (paraffin and frozen), histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, and immunofluorescence staining.
3. Performs microscopic and morphometric image analyses of histological specimens.
4. Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment including thermocyclers, agarose gel electrophoresis units, nebulizers/gas compressors, and spectrophotometers.
5. Isolates, extracts, purifies, and analyzes mouse genomic DNA for genotyping purposes using PCR.
6. Isolates, extracts, purifies, and analyzes mouse RNA for purposes of gene expression analysis.
7. Cell sorting and flow cytometry of lung infiltrating immune cells.
8. Protein extraction and performing the protein based assays including ELISA and Western Blot.
9. Reads literature relevant to lung inflammation, to lung cancer biology, to epithelial and immune cell function and/or to laboratory methods.
10. The employee must communicate freely and clearly, and must confer with superiors regarding new procedures and modify them according to the needs of the project.
11. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested and confers with superiors regarding results obtained.
12. Analyze data, prepare graphs, figures, and help in writing and submitting the manuscript.
1. Presents data in formal Laboratory Meetings (quarterly).
2. Presents papers in Laboratory Journal Club Meetings (quarterly).
3. Present data in national and international meetings in form of poster or podium talk.
Received: Scientific Mentor and Technical supervisor.
Given: Laboratory Assistants, undergrad and grad students.
Required: Basic molecular biology and immunology techniques are required. Work experience with small rodents is a plus.
The laboratory environment may involve occasional exposure to hazardous equipment and materials. The position will require animal handling (mice), as well as occasional handling of hazardous materials (bacteria lysate and cigarette smoke) with proper personal protective equipment. Usage and safety training will be given.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html