Postdoc-Computational Biologist/Software Engineer
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Location: Kannapolis, NC
- Job Number: 7068892
- Posting Date: Aug 14, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionPostdoc-Computational Biologist/Software Engineer
Bioinformatics and Genomics
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Work Location: NC Research Campus - Kannapolis
The Postdoctoral appointee must have recently (within the last eight years) been awarded a Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate (e.g., Sc.D., M.D.)
Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
Proven work experience as a Software Engineer or Software Developer
• Experience designing interactive applications
• Ability to develop software in Java, C++, Python or other programming languages
• Excellent knowledge of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate)
• Experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC)
• Experience with test-driven development
• Proficiency in software engineering tools
• Ability to document requirements and specifications
• BSc degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
• ~2 years of software engineering in the C, C++, java, haskell
Must know data science coding/visualization Python or R
Machine and deep Learning, modeling, and/or statistics gets you a fast track to the front of the line.
Knowing chemistry, biology, microbiology, virology, and/or metabolism is a plus but not required.
• Execute full software development life cycle (SDLC)
• Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to identify requirements and solutions
• Write well-designed, testable code
• Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility
• Integrate software components into a fully functional software system
• Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
• Document and maintain software functionality
• Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing systems
• Deploy programs and evaluate user feedback
• Comply with project plans and industry standards
• Ensure software is updated with latest features
Postdoc appointments are characterized by all of the following conditions:
• the appointee was recently (within the last eight years) awarded a Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate (e.g., Sc.D., M.D.);
• the appointment is temporary;
• the appointment involves substantially full-time research or scholarship;
• the appointment is viewed as preparatory for a full-time academic and/or research career;
• the appointee works under the supervision of a faculty member; and
• the appointee has the freedom and is expected to publish the results of his or her research or scholarship during the period of appointment.
Please apply online at https://jobs.uncc.edu/postings/32232
As an EOE/AA employer and an ADVANCE Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte encourages applications from all underrepresented groups. Applicants subject to criminal background check.
The candidate chosen for this position will be required to provide an official transcript of their highest earned degree.
The candidate chosen for this position will be subject to a criminal background check.