Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7068971
- Posting Date: Aug 19, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionPostdoctoral Research Fellow
Vacant Position for Scott Evans Laboratory
Function: Carrying out studies of therapeutically-inducible lung antimicrobial responses to protect vulnerable subjects against pneumonia.
Scope: Enhance our understanding of the mechanisms of inducible antimicrobial responses from lung parenchymal cells, particularly epithelia, to protect against acute and chronic complications of lower respiratory tract infections.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Prepares and conducts in vivo studies of inducible lung antimicrobial responses, including breeding mutant and wildtype mice, delivering various treatments to mice, delivering infectious challenges to mice, clinically assessing mice, harvesting mouse tissues, euthanizing some mice, and keeping excellent records of these processes.
2. Establishes and maintains in vitro/ex vivo cultures of primary and immortalized cells.
3. Prepares and conducts ex vivo/in situ histologic analyses using the following techniques: animal dissection, tissue fixation, paraffin embedding, cryofixation, tissue sectioning (paraffin and frozen), histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, and in situ hybridization.
4. Performs microscopic and morphometric image analyses of histological specimens.
5. Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory apparatus and equipment including thermocyclers, agarose gel electrophoresis units, nebulizers/gas compressors, and spectrophotometers.
6. Cultures and expands various microorganisms for both in vitro and in vivo infectious challenges.
7. Isolates, extracts, purifies, and analyzes mouse genomic DNA for genotyping purposes using PCR.
8. Isolates, extracts, purifies, and analyzes mouse RNA for purposes of gene expression analysis.
9. Performs cell sorting and flowcytometry.
10. Performs protein extraction and performing the protein based assays including ELISA and Western Blot
11. Reads literature relevant to lung infections, epithelial biology, immune cell functions and/or laboratory methods.
12. Communicates freely and clearly, and must confer with superiors regarding new procedures and modify them according to the needs of the project.
13. Records and evaluates data obtained in accordance with methods requested and confers with superiors regarding results obtained.
14. Analyzes data, prepares graphs and figures, and helps in writing and submitting manuscripts.
1. Presents data in formal departmental Laboratory Seminars.
2. Presents papers in departmental Journal Clubs.
3. Present data in weekly meetings of the Evans laboratory personnel.
4. Present papers in weekly Evans laboratory Journal Clubs.
5. Present data in national and international meetings in form of poster or podium talk.
Received: Scientific Mentor and Technical supervisor.
Given: Laboratory Assistants, undergrad and grad students.
Required: PhD or MD
Required: Basic molecular biology and immunology techniques are required. Work experience with small rodents is a plus.
The laboratory environment may involve occasional exposure to hazardous equipment and materials. The position will require animal handling (mice), as well as preparation of infectious materials (bacteria, viruses, fungi) with proper personal protective equipment. Usage and safety training will be given.
Diversity and inclusion at MD Anderson are not just important; they are essential. We take an expansive view of diversity, considering differences in race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender and religious beliefs, as well as communication styles, thought, skill and ambition. We constantly examine our culture to create an inclusive working environment that effectively attracts, retains, develops and utilizes the skills and talents of all employees. Our Diversity Council develops strategies to attract and retain superior talent and enhance workforce diversity and inclusion. We also offer multiple diversity training programs to our employees.