Post Doctoral Fellow
- Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Job Number: 7069101
- Posting Date: Aug 24, 2020
Job DescriptionCDU Strives for EXCELLENCE! Join a team of diverse professionals and start your career today with Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. We are seeking extraordinary and dedicated individuals to achieve the mission that drives us all: to cultivate diverse health professional leaders are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations…. As a member of CDU faculty, or staff you’ll achieve EXCELLENCE in a welcoming community of passionate medical school professionals.
At CDU we are seeking a talented Post Doctoral Fellow.
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, the post-doctoral fellow will perform a broad range of routine to moderately complex research duties, including working with mice, perform techniques such as immunohistochemistry, RNA extractions, real time PCR, western blots, and biochemical determinations. Statistical analyses of data and writing up results will also be expected. Working with and training student interns will also be required. The research project will involve studying the effects of electronic cigarettes on cardiac function and genes in mice. Experience with working with mice and breeding transgenic/knockout mice highly desirable. Candidates should have interest in studying health disparities in vulnerable populations as related to substance abuse research. Depending on performance and experience, the post-doctoral fellow may be eligible for a faculty appointment at the conclusion of their fellowship.
Although this program is intended to increase diversity within the scientific research workforce, all individuals are eligible to apply. We encourage candidates who are eligible for an NIH diversity supplement to apply for this position. To be eligible for this diversity supplement, candidates should meet the qualifications as outlined at http://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida/organization/offices/office-nida-director-od/odhd/faqs-about-research-supplements-to-pro and include those who are Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander. Additionally, individuals with disabilities or those from disadvantaged backgrounds are also eligible for the supplement.
The position is funded by the Next Generation Substance Abuse Disorders Research Training (SART) at CDU and UCLA R25 grant funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (Grant no. 1R25DA050723-01A1).
• Participate in research studies to include molecular biology, immunohistochemistry, RNA extractions, real time PCR, western blots, biochemical determinations, plasmid preparation and analysis, cell transfections; anesthesia, injections, aseptic work, animal handling, and tissue excision.
• Animal breeding and surgery
• Record and analyze the data
• Write and prepare manuscripts
• Prepare presentations
• Submit grants
• Perform other duties as assigned or requested
• Graduate degree (PhD) in a biomedical science related area (preferably within the last 3 years).
• Three years related experience in molecular biology, immunohistochemistry, RNA extractions, real time PCR, western blots, biochemical determinations, plasmid preparation and analysis, cell transfections; anesthesia, injections, aseptic work, animal handling, and tissue excision
• Animal self-administration and breeding experience is a plus
• Prior statistical experience
• Prior experience or interest in conducting substance abuse research, especially in vulnerable populations
• Laboratory skills needed including ability to perform biochemical assays and molecular biology techniques
• Computer skills
• Written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse community
Special Instructions to Applicants
The employment status of this position is classified as “Conditional”. Conditional employment means that the job exists contingent upon funding limitations of restricted funds or, the duration of a specific program, project, grant or contract. The duration of the grant for this position is through March 31, 2021.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3584
At Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, our employees' well-being is important to us. CDU continues to offer health and wellness benefits to help employees stay healthy and provide financial protection against high medical costs. The program incorporates a variety of benefit plans from which employees can choose. The following summary provides a brief overview and high level summary of the benefits that may be available as a member of the faculty or staff working at least 20 hours per week in a regular or conditional position at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. For more information, visit https://www.cdrewu.edu/academics/facultystaff/Offices/Benefits
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer