Postdoctoral Fellow in Cardiovascular Research
- University of Rhode Island College of Pharmacy
- Location: Kingston, RI
- Job Number: 7072237
- Posting Date: Nov 17, 2020
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAn NIH-funded postdoctoral position is immediately available at the University of Rhode Island, College of Pharmacy. The position is in the laboratory of Dr. Richard Clements. The candidate will investigate mechanisms of myocardial ischemic injury and therapeutic cardioprotection strategies. There is specific focus on mitochondrial K+ channels and mitochondrial associated injury and subsequent effects on metabolism, respiration, structure and contraction. Investigations will include standard biochemistry/molecular techniques, cell-based assays, small and large animal models, and patient heart samples. There will also be opportunity to investigate similar mechanisms in neuronal injury and disease
related to Alzheimer’s. An energetic, hard-working post-doctoral fellow who works well in a collaborative environment is required for the position.
Candidates should have strong experience in either molecular and cell biology techniques or cardiovascular physiology and small animal experience. Candidates with strengths in one or more of the following skills will be given preference, but applications are welcome from diverse backgrounds with relevant expertise:
1. Measurements of endpoints relative to mitochondrial biology, e.g. ROS, membrane potential, fractionation/isolation, respiration.
2. Molecular biology experience working with plasmids and virus.
3. General protein biochemistry/cell biology experience.
4. Imaging experience using live plate-based assays, confocal, or electron microscopy.
5. ex vivo isolated heart preparations, primary cardiomyocyte isolation, in vivo hemodynamic assessment and analysis.
6. Small animal mouse and rat surgery.
Interested applicants please send resume/CV to email@example.com