Postdoctoral Research Associate: Bee Genomics
- Central State University
- Location: Wilberforce, OH
- Job Number: 7073773
- Posting Date: Jan 6, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary/Basic Function
This position is a two-year term postdoctoral appointment within the College of Engineering, Science, Technology and Agriculture (CESTA).
The successful candidate will join a growing research community at Central State University (CSU), an 1890 Land-grant in Wilberforce, OH. The candidate will possess advanced genomic and bioinformatic skills for honeybee evolutionary genomics and breeding program.
This is a new CSU program that builds upon PI’s experience to increase genetic diversity of honey bees. The Post Doc will be required to become familiar with existing honeybee genomic datasets, insect molecular biology, and behavioral biology.
The candidate should be knowledgeable in the rapidly growing and evolving area in functional genomics, molecular markers, and related field. Potential interests of other research related to bee genomics and genetics is also encouraged.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Perform research for honeybee transcriptomic analysis
• Perform research for molecular genetic breeding and selection
• Design experiments, perform experiments, data collection, data analysis, bioinformatics analysis, report, write, and publish scientific papers
• Facilitate operation of the lab and assist the faculty/students
• Doctoral degree in entomology, molecular biology, animal science/breeding, ecology/evolution, or other relevant biological sciences
• Knowledge and skills in genomics, genetics, molecular biology, development of insects for at least 2 years
• Knowledge and skills in bioinformatics, data science, programming, or computational biology for at least 2 years
• Knowledge and skills in honeybee biology for at least 2 years
Posting Date 01/06/2021
Closing Date 02/06/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
• This is a 2-year appointment. For further information email Dr. Hongmei Li-Byarlay at hli-byarlay at centralstate.edu.
• Supervision Exercised
• Minimal supervisory responsibilities. A willingness to mentor students preferred. Central State University primary focus is in undergraduate education. Although there will not be classroom teaching, any opportunity to work with undergraduate is highly valued.