Post-doctoral Fellow-Data Science in Radiology
- City of Hope
- Location: Duarte, CA
- Job Number: 7074849 (Ref #: 10007919rxv_113_1)
- Posting Date: Feb 6, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Data Scientist in this role will query and analyze complex datasets to discover insights to apply to an evolving cancer care delivery environment. The Data Scientist will use data mining, statistics, and machine learning to understand relationships and patterns in radiomics and clinical data and build predictive models.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Provide key subject matter expertise and leadership in advancing the use of AI technologies in precision medicine and clinical decision support
- Provide mentorship and guidance to more junior staff, such as PhD students
- Query large datasets from multiple systems
- Build machine learning models or use existing models for analysis of data
- Interpret the reasonability of the model
- Design and implement pilots for validation and optimization of models in real time
- Produce technical documentation, visualizations, and presentations
- Lead complex projects with multiple work streams and adhere to timelines
- Complete individual or collaborative projects independently
- Collaborate with clinicians, IT specialists, and administrative leaders
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- PhD degree in bioinformatics, computer science, biology, engineering, statistics, mathematics, physics, or fields related to data science with 0+ years of experience as a data scientist
- Experience with image analysis
- Experience with radiomics
- Experience with radiology
- Familiarity with a health care environment and EHR data
- Familiarity with HIPAA compliance
- Familiarity with genomics and medical imaging data
- Time series analysis
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Cloud services platforms like Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure
- Awareness of the most recent trends and developments in the Data Science / Machine Learning fields
- Data analytics expert with measurable track record within industry or academic environment, developing and successfully implementing statistical and machine learning models for data mining, classification, prediction, and clustering
- Experience with relational databases and SQL queries, including building a database
- Must be knowledgeable in at least one scientific computing language, such as Python (e.g., pandas, scikit-learn, genism, seaborn, tensorflow), R (e.g., caret, dplyr, ggplot2), and Matlab
- Solid experience in machine learning (RandomForest, XGBoost/LightGBM, etc.) and deep learning (CNN, RNN, LSTM, etc.) techniques
About City of Hope City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
City of Hope strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.