CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in long-term infection control in the context of medical devices
- Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Job Number: 7074862 (Ref #: cj_71628)
- Posting Date: Feb 8, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Immerse Yourself in an Inclusive Culture
- Use your Skills and Make an Impact on CSIROs Manufacturing!
- Join CSIRO - Australia's Premier Science and Technology Research Organisation
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
While medical devices have led to spectacular advances that have contributed significantly to extending life expectancy and to improving the quality of life, effective technologies providing long-term infection control are not yet available. This long-standing problem may be overcome by the effective control of interfacial interactions and by exploiting antimicrobial technologies ranging from immobilised antimicrobial compounds to drug delivery and topography-based approaches.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will answer key scientific questions associated with the progression of medical device related infections, identify opportunities for long-term infection control and develop effective technologies that can be applied in the context of medical devices. Apart from establishing a comprehensive understanding of the factors that govern long-term host-pathogen-device interactions, the Postdoctoral Fellow will focus on the synthesis of polymers carrying antimicrobial drugs providing broad spectrum activity, and the development of coatings that provide effective protection against microbial colonisation over a clinically relevant time frame.
Your duties will include:
- Developing novel technology platforms providing long-term infection control and demonstrate their efficacy in vitro and in vivo.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Recognising and exploiting opportunities for innovation and the generation of new theoretical perspectives, and progressing opportunities for the further development or creation of new lines of research.
- Carrying out research investigations requiring originality, creativity and innovation.
- Recording, managing, and analysing data/information using relevant domain data science techniques.
- Proactively undertaking development to grow effective researcher capabilities to support career goals.
Location: Clayton, VIC
Salary: AU$83K - AU$94K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years (Full-time)
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Chemistry, Materials Science, Biomedical Science and or relevant disciplines.
Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated experience in biomaterials science.
- Previous experience in organic and polymer chemistry.
- Experience in surface modification and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in microbial and mammalian cell culture methods.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check as well as undertaking a pre-employment medical prior to commencement.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
23:59 AEDT 15th March 2021
We’re working hard to build a safe and welcoming culture where people can bring their whole selves to work. Valuing and enabling difference empowers our people, unlocking their potential to innovate and shape the future for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today. We're the people that stay awake solving the world’s big questions. This is true of our science and of our people. Our mission is to create benefit for Australia through impactful science and innovation but we know that that's not possible without an inclusive and diverse culture. We're working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.