Postdoctoral Fellowship, Data-driven Waveform Imaging and Inversion
- KAUST (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology)
- Location: Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Job Number: 7075882
- Posting Date: Mar 10, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionData-driven Waveform Imaging and Inversion
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology: Postdoc Positions: Physical Science and Engineering Division (postdoc)
The Seismic Wave Analysis Group (SWAG) led by Professor Tariq Alkhalifah has openings for two postdoctoral researchers with a background in wave-propagation related inverse problems (Geophysics, Optics), or applied Mathematics (Optimization and/or Machine Learning).
The candidates are expected to work on data driven (ML-assisted) waveform imaging and inversion applications.
The candidate will be encouraged to:
• Develop methods to tackle waveform inversion challenges for various applications including at global discovery scale, exploration scale, and even in medical imaging.
• Utilize machine learning algorithms in improving waveform imaging and inversion.
• Work with a team attitude, which includes interaction with fellow researchers and students.
• Interact with teams within KAUST.
• Develop her/his own qualification in Machine Learning and HPC.
• Learn and grow as a scientist.
• Participate in major international conferences.
• The initial contract will be offered for 2-years.
The position includes:
1. A competitive to top US market salary
2. Furnished housing on KAUST campus provided
3. Medical and dental insurance provided
4. Annual paid vacation
5. Sponsored yearly flights to the home country
6. Access to the private beach on the Red Sea and other KAUST recreation facilities
7. Relocation allowance of US$3,000
1. PhD degree in a related field
2. Reasonable software development experience (Python, C, C++ are preferred)
3. Ability to efficiently communicate in English
Additional (optional) qualifications:
• Publication(s) in top scientific journals
• Familiarity with HPC (MPI, OpenMP, CUDA)
• Some experience in waveform inversion
• Some experience in advanced machine learning (GANs, Bayesian methods…)
• Knowledge of wave propagation
• Experience in teaching and writing research grant proposals
Application should include
• CV with a list of publications and research interests.
• Copy of official academic transcripts.
• Two recommendation letters/emails from current manager or PhD supervisor.
• A list of names/affiliations and contact details of at least two potential referees.
Apply Now: https://apptrkr.com/2180115