Postdoctoral Fellow - MDA - TMP Dept. (GTDL Luthra)
- The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7076068
- Posting Date: Mar 16, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionThe Genomics Test Development Laboratory (GTDL) in the Department of Translational Molecular Pathology, develops new techniques for cancer genotyping in liquid biopsies, hematological malignancies and solid tumors; partners with the Molecular Diagnostic Laboratory (MDL) at MD Anderson to assess, optimize and validate novel molecular diagnostic tests to facilitate the cost-effective transfer of discovery markers and related assays into the CLIA environment.
The GTDL is interested in having a Post-doctoral fellow with a strong molecular biology background and a familiarity with Bioinformatics pipelines for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) who will work to accomplish the goals of the laboratory. The primary purpose of the Post-doc is to design, optimize and perform new molecular assays geared for use in both the research and clinical space. This person would also help to facilitate the transition of translational research projects into the clinical lab and work closely with collaborators in different departments.
1. Design, optimize, and validate new or existing genomic assays, including NGS, ddPCR, and gene expression by PCR, HTG, and NanoString for translational research or transfer into the CLIA environment.
2. Works with internal and external collaborators (clinicians, vendors, faculty, staff, industry partners) to develop new molecular assays for the laboratory
3. Assists in project planning and adheres to realistic timelines for implementation of assays in development.
4. Works closely with Bioinformatics in the analysis and interpretation of NGS data and provides written reports to collaborators.
5. Assists in the development of lab policies and procedures including assay Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), assay transfer documentation and quality control procedures.
6. Evaluates instruments, reagents and supplies for new and existing molecular assays
7. Presents work at National conferences and for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
1. Hands on experience with NGS library preparation and sequencing platforms.
2. Hands on experience in running different molecular assays including qPCR, ddPCR, NanoString and HTG.
3. Experience with manual and automated nucleic acid extraction methodologies.
4. Familiarity with Bioinformatics analysis for NGS and laboratory automation software.
Diversity and inclusion at MD Anderson are not just important; they are essential. We take an expansive view of diversity, considering differences in race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender and religious beliefs, as well as communication styles, thought, skill and ambition. We constantly examine our culture to create an inclusive working environment that effectively attracts, retains, develops and utilizes the skills and talents of all employees. Our Diversity Council develops strategies to attract and retain superior talent and enhance workforce diversity and inclusion. We also offer multiple diversity training programs to our employees.