Postdoctoral Fellowship in Adolescent Health
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth)
- Location: Houston, TX
- Job Number: 7077058
- Posting Date: Apr 14, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionThe Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Public Health invites applications for a one-year grant funded postdoctoral fellowship, effective summer 2021, to work with faculty on nationally funded research grants in adolescent health involving longitudinal data. Candidates must have: 1) solid methodological skills with a strong interest and ability in coding and analyzing complex intervention and longitudinal data and 2) an interest in researching adolescent health (dating violence, risky sexual behavior, substance use, and other health risk behaviors).
The Postdoctoral Fellow will join faculty analyzing data from two federally funded studies:
• The first study will leverage four large data sets of ethnically diverse pre- and early adolescent youth drawn from randomized trials of sexual risk reduction and healthy relationship promotion interventions. This large sample will allow us to overcome the methodological limitations of prior efforts and determine which factors are most impactful in preventing adverse sexual health outcomes and reducing disparities in adverse sexual health outcomes.
• The second study will examine social determinants within school contexts and neighborhood settings as moderators of best practice, evidence-based pregnancy prevention effectiveness. This involves data from eleven randomized controlled trials of evidence-based pregnancy prevention programming in middle schools, high schools, and community settings. This work seeks to identify characteristics of prevention program delivery context that challenge high quality teen pregnancy prevention implementation, hampering its effectiveness with populations that may benefit from it the most.
The selected fellow will spend a majority of time on research-related activities with a particular focus on literature reviews, measurement and coding, data management, analysis, and dissemination. Plenty of opportunities for authoring manuscripts and receiving mentorship in applying for independent funding.
Candidates pursuing or with doctoral level degrees in behavioral sciences, statistics psychology, epidemiology, public health, health behavior, communication, sociology, and related fields are invited to apply. Competitive applicants will have: 1) a strong interest in pursuing an academic career; 2) prior experience in all phases of the research process, and 3) exceptionally strong skills in managing/analyzing data.
UTHealth School of Public Health (https://sph.uth.edu) is located within the world’s largest medical center, Texas Medical Center (www.texmedctr.tmc.edu). Opportunities for research and collaboration are outstanding. Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States and boasts a strong economy with a relatively low cost of living (www.houstontx.gov).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should send a letter describing their qualifications and interests along with their curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references to: Christine Markham, PhD via email at Christine.Markham@uth.tmc.edu, phone at 713.500.9646, or standard mail at 7000 Fannin St., Rm 2622, Houston, TX 77030. Electronic inquiries and submissions preferred.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston is an EO/AA employer. M/F/D/V. This is a security-sensitive position and thereby subject to Texas Education code §51.215. A background check will be required for the final candidate.