Postdoctoral Researcher Positions in Synthetic Biology, UC Davis
- University of California, Davis
- Location: Davis, CA
- Job Number: 7085708
- Posting Date: Sep 20, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionApplications are invited for Postdoctoral Researcher positions in Synthetic Biology at the University of California, Davis (https://tanlab.bme.ucdavis.edu). The Tan Lab studies operating principles of protein and gene networks. Our lab also applies the principles to control various synthetic systems, including synthetic bacteria, cell-free systems, artificial bacteria, and hybrid cell-soft robots. Members of the lab use a holistic approach that integrates synthetic biology and quantitative biology techniques, including high-throughput cloning methods, machine learning, mathematical modeling, quantitative imaging, proteomics, and droplet printing. Our work will lead to effective and efficient synthetic cellular systems for biotechnological applications.
Successful candidates will work on exciting new projects to develop synthetic bacteria-based devices for biomedical applications. The postdoc will be given significant autonomy and will help to shape future research areas of the lab. The positions are fully funded for at least three years. The research will have a broad impact on the application of synthetic cells in drug delivery, gene therapy, and disease treatment.
The lab is looking for ideal candidates with the following attributes:
- a Ph.D. or are in the final stage of obtaining a Ph.D., in bioengineering, biomedical engineering, biophysics, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or related fields.
- demonstrated experimental skillsets in molecular biology, microbiology, and microscopy.
- preference will be given to candidates with additional expertise in one of the following areas 1) cell cycle control and aging of bacteria 2) interaction between bacteria and human cells 3) interaction between biomaterials and proteins/nucleic acids/small molecules. Successful candidates are expected to apply their domain expertise in the engineering of synthetic bacteria for biomedical applications.
- excellent writing and communication skills in English.
- highly motivated, creative, and independent
- excited by interdisciplinary research in synthetic biology.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send the following documents to Prof. Tan (email@example.com),
- a cover letter stating the applicant’s interests and relevant expertise
- a CV
- statement of research
- contact information of two references.
Applications will be reviewed immediately. The new positions are available starting Oct 1, 2021. Review of applications will continue until outstanding candidates fill the positions.