Postdoctoral Fellow - Cancer Targets and New Drug Discovery
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: La Jolla, CA
- Job Number: 7086996
- Posting Date: Oct 12, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys is currently accepting applications for postdoctoral training in our exciting T32 Program: Cancer Targets and New Drug Discovery.
The goal of this 2-year training program is to establish an innovative multi-thematic graduate student and postdoctoral training program to train the next generation of leaders in cancer target discovery and validation, cancer drug discovery, and biomarker development. Through this program, advanced graduate students and postdocs will be trained in the skills needed to execute a successful cancer drug discovery project using novel paradigms and state-of-the-art technologies. The program includes a 2-month biotech company internship and training in scientific entrepreneurship.
Postdoctoral participants in the program will expand a research project to include any of the following specific aims of the program:
1) The discovery and validation of novel cancer drug targets in the context of signaling networks, mechanisms of genetic and epigenetic regulation, and exploring non-traditional targets.
2) The discovery of small molecule probes to interrogate novel cancer targets.
3) The pursuit of mechanistic studies of cancer signaling pathways using probe inhibitors.
4) The exploration of entrepreneurship in cancer drug discovery.
In addition to scientific training, postdocs will participate in professional development programs through which they will gain skills in leadership and management, as well as an understanding of the vast array of career paths available to them following their education and training. To learn more about the T32 program, please check out: https://www.sbpdiscovery.org/education/NIH-T32-Fellowships/cancer-targets-drug-discovery.
Postdoctoral eligibility requirements:
1. Must be a US citizen or legal permanent resident
2. Have a PhD, MD, MD/PhD, or doctoral equivalent
3. Must be within 3 years of obtaining a PhD or equivalent
1. Application (download here)
2. Cover Letter
3. Curriculum Vitae
4. A one-page personal statement describing:
- Your interest in the T32 Program
- How the T32 Program will support your professional goals
5. A one-page research statement describing:
- Your research experiences
- How your research aligns with the T32 Program
- How your participation in the program will support your research goals
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.