Research Assistant I - Marth Lab (Immunity and Pathogenesis)
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: La Jolla, CA
- Job Number: 7087677
- Posting Date: Oct 22, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Research Assistant will be involved in the discovery, understanding and treatment of common diseases resulting from the disruption of normal protein glycosylation. The Research Assistant will be learning new technologies, as well as applying existing knowledge to procedures and bench-work.
The Research Assistant will assist researchers by performing a wide variety of routine and non-routine laboratory procedures and tests, processing samples, collecting data, setting up and operating equipment, and maintaining laboratory supplies.
• Determines methods and procedures on new assignments or day-to-day work
• Keeps written records of experiments and data organization
• Troubleshoots problems and develops solutions to technical problems of moderate to high scope using independent thinking, literature, and colleagues as resources to solve problems
• Provides interpretation and analysis of results
• Maintains various reagent collections, and inventories
• Orders lab supplies as needed
• Bachelor’s degree in a biological science or a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained is required.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
• Work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Be a quick learner with meticulous attention to detail.
• Be able to gain and apply technical knowledge and skills to develop novel cell-based and biochemical assays and convert them to 384-well/ 1536-well format using automated liquid handlers and plate readers.
• Able to analyze and resolve commonly encountered issues.
• Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects in a rapidly changing, deadline-driven environment.
• Proven presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
• Accurately document own experiments in lab notebook (including tables, graphs, etc.)
• Be responsible and have strong time management skills.
• Possess strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills
• Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly MS Excel, PowerPoint) and other state-of-the-art analysis software (GraphPad Prism).
• Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.