Postdoctoral Appointee - Detector Readout Electronics
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7087679 (Ref #: ANL-411714)
- Posting Date: Oct 22, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Detector Readout Electronics Postdoctoral Appointee
The Medium Energy Physics (MEP) group at Argonne’s Physics Division is seeking a postdoctoral appointee to work on R&D of low-temperature electronics for superconducting nanowire particle detectors.
The MEP group has strong experience in a wide range of detector systems and participates in detector R&D and experiments at multiple DOE facilities which include the Electron-Ion collider at Brookhaven National Lab, and CLAS12 and SoLID at Jefferson Lab.
The successful candidate will work in the MEP group, in close collaboration with Argonne’s Material Science Division and Fermilab’s ASIC group, to develop low-temperature electronics for control and readout of superconducting particle detectors. The candidate’s work will be part of a broad multi-disciplinary effort with collaborators from MIT, NASA JPL and NIST.
This work presents an opportunity to participate in development of novel detector systems enabling next generation high-impact science at future nuclear physics experiments. The successful candidate will also have the possibility to gain hands-on experience in detector design, microelectronics fabrication, detector simulation and modern data-processing techniques.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Electronic Engineering, or related field within the last 3 years
- Experience with particle detectors and data acquisition systems, including front-end readout electronics.
- Ability to use programming languages (preferably Python) for data processing.
Additional desirable experience:
- Prior experience in clean room work and micro-fabrication techniques (electron beam and optical lithography, wet and dry etching techniques).
- Experience with superconducting nanowire single-photon detectors or superconducting logic.
- Hands-on experience with cryogenic systems (operation of cryostats, thermometry, vacuum systems, etc.).
- Ability to use programming languages (C, Python and/or HDL languages) for instrumentation control.
- Experience in electronic circuits simulations.
- Knowledge of CAD software for design of PCBs and electrical circuits
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.