Pyroprocess Engineering Postdoctoral Researcher
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Lemont, IL
- Job Number: 7088018 (Ref #: ANL-411711)
- Posting Date: Oct 28, 2021
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Position Description – Pyroprocess Engineering Postdoctoral Researcher
The Postdoctoral Appointee will be part of a team conducting applied R&D for the development of high-temperature electrochemical processes in molten salt electrolytes, including the pyrochemical treatment of used nuclear fuel, with the goal of recovering purified products for use in advanced reactors.
As a part of this work, you will:
- Apply and improve pyroprocess operations such as electrorefining and oxide reduction at engineering- and pilot-scales in various systems to support industrialization.
- Conduct standard electrochemical measurements (cyclic voltammetry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, polarization tests, etc.) and innovative experiments in molten salt electrolytes to advance the technical understanding of processes occurring in molten salt and molten salt chemistry.
- Assess and improve process efficiency, monitoring, and product quality and recovery to optimize cell design and operating conditions.
- Communicate effectively with supervisors, peers, and Laboratory management through status updates, technical research reports, project presentations, and other regular channels.
- Skill in devising and performing experiments to acquire data, using and maintaining research equipment, compiling, evaluating, and reporting test results.
- Experience in electrochemistry, electrochemical engineering, or nuclear engineering.
- Knowledge of fundamental thermodynamics and kinetics.
- Experience with high-temperature molten salt systems, actinide chemistry, or materials science is desired, but not mandatory.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- U.S. citizenship is required for this position.
This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education in chemical engineering, materials science, nuclear engineering, or related field at the PhD degree level with zero to three years of experience or equivalent in the scientific application of this knowledge and practical laboratory experience.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.