The Department of Ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine in seeking a qualified, highly motivated and creative Postdoctoral Associate to join the de Paiva lab. Dr. Cintia de Paiva’s research focuses on the understanding of the interplay of the aging and cathepsin S and generation of auto receptive t cells on the ocular surface and lacrimal gland.
- Works closely with the PI and other lab personnel performing complex research and research techniques.
- Designs and conducts experiments in a controlled laboratory setting.
- Performs experiments, collects, analyzes and reports data; designs an immunohistochemistry with proper controls and proper detection colorimetric reactions, (HRP, alkaline phosphatase, streptavidin, etc.).
- Designs and performs flow cytometry with fluorescence minus controls, positive and negative controls in cervical lymph nodes, collagenase-digested lacrimal glands and spleens.
- Designs and performs intracellular staining for interferon-gamma, IL-17 and TNF-a.
- Analyzes data using FlowJo software.
- Designs and performs small surgeries as needed (sympathetic axotomy and others).
- Works with animals, including genotyping, husbandry and inducing dry eye protocol.
- Administers oral gavage, ocular topical eyedrops and subconjunctival injections as needed.
- Designs and performs real-time PCR Tagman Probes.
- Analyzes data using the deltadelta CT method.
- Maintains oversight and ensures that laboratory equipment and supplies are clean and sterile, and maintains the cleanliness of the laboratory, orders laboratories supplies and equipment.
- Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- Experience as a Research Assistant, Research Technician or Postdoctoral Fellow/Associate is preferred. Degree in immunology, molecular biology, microbiology or related field and have published in a peer-reviewed journal(s) is preferred.
- Prior experience using mouse as a model system is recommended.
- Previous experience in ophthalmology or immunology is a plus.
- Qualified candidates should submit a one-page cover letter stating reasons for their scientific interest in the lab, career goals, a curriculum vitae including technical skills, and the names and contact information of three references.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care.
- Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective.
- Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve.
- Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.