Research Fellow - HLHS Cell Therapy
- Mayo Clinic
- Location: Rochester, MN
- Job Number: 7090936
- Posting Date: Dec 21, 2021
Job DescriptionThe Research shield at Mayo Clinic is committed to creating a diverse environment and recognizes that diverse research teams make better decisions, are more equipped to solve complex problems and adapt to change, and produce better outcomes. That diversity is about opening up to unconventional ideas that create better outcomes, while recognizing colleagues' unique contributions. Become part of the legacy that embraces these differences and enables us to provide the best care to patients from all over the world.
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
A Research Fellow position is available in the Todd and Karen Wanek Program for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) under the mentorship of Dr. Timothy Nelson. This program is focused on developing autologous stem cell-based therapies for the treatment of patients suffering from HLHS and other left ventricle cardiomyopathies.
The candidate will:
* work primarily with a research scientist and senior-level technician
* be involved in optimizing cardiac differentiation protocols
* investigate underlying mechanisms of induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived cardiomyocytes
* assist in the development the current investigative new drug (IND) proposal
The successful candidate should have skills and experience in:
* laboratory cell and molecular biology
* Investigation of New Drugs (IND) related to cell processing
* developing research protocols
* regularly presenting progress on projects and relevant data at national meetings
* publishing data in a timely manner and targeting high impact journals related to the science
A Research Fellow at Mayo Clinic is a temporary position intended to provide training and education in research. Individuals will train in the research program of a Mayo Clinic principal investigator. Qualified individuals will demonstrate the potential for research as evidenced by their training and peer-reviewed publications and should become competitive for national research grants. Proof of English proficiency is required for J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors, Specialists, and Student Interns sponsored by Mayo Clinic.
The following is required for completeness of application:
* Current curriculum vitae with bibliography
* Proof of doctoral degree (copy of diploma or final transcript with English translation, if applicable) or a letter from your university's Registrar office indicating you have fulfilled all doctoral program requirements and are eligible to graduate.
Please also be prepared that you may be asked to provide three letters of recommendation to the hiring PI prior to an interview. Must have a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent doctoral degree in a field deemed relevant by the program. Research Fellow is appropriate for individuals who have completed no more than one prior postdoctoral fellowship, at Mayo Clinic or elsewhere.
The candidate must exhibit excellent communication skills using the English language, both spoken and written. We expect the candidate to be a critical thinker willing to express and defend their scientific opinions in data-driven manner. Finally, honesty, integrity, and an ability to work with a diverse array of team members is a must.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.