NASA Genelab Research Associate
- The Bionetics Corporation
- Location: Mountain View, CA
- Job Number: 7092192
- Posting Date: Jan 13, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionPOSITION TITLE: NASA Research Associate
LOCATION: NASA Ames Research Center
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: FLS Non-Exempt
HOURS: Scheduled hours may vary dependent upon contract requirements
The GeneLab project is an omics repository enabling open science for NASA and offers the research community access to spaceflight data sets. GeneLab is critical component supporting NASA’s overall objectives to discover and explore deeper into space. NASA is actively conducting biological research on the ground and in microgravity aboard the International Space Station; in the process, many samples are produced that require processing for omics analysis. The GeneLab Sample Processing Lab is seeking an experience next generation sequencing (NGS) Research Associate with a background in Molecular Biology to support our Genomics and Sequencing Core to support evaluating new methods, processing critical samples, and working with our scientific community to standardize and publish SOPs.
This role will require a strong lab presence.
1. The incumbent shall have as a minimum bachelor’s in science in molecular biology, bio-chemistry, bio-engineering or related field, and 2+ years’ experience in a molecular biology lab.
2. Experience in a Molecular Biology lab
3. Experience in next generation sequencing applications
4. Proficiency in RNA and DNA extractions from various sample types
5. Proficiency in library preparation (e.g. Illumina, Kapa)
6. Experience utilizing robots to automate laboratory processes
7. Proficiency in aseptic technique
8. Must be a U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
9. Strong interpersonal and communication skills (English written and oral) are highly desired
10. Strong attention to detail is highly desired
11. Ability to work independently with minimal guidance while consistently exercising good judgement is highly desired
• Perform RNA, DNA, protein extractions from critical, irreplaceable tissues, bacterial and mammalian cell samples
• Perform library preparation and quality control for NGS
• Work with lab automation robotics; liquid handlers, automated RNA/DNA extractors
• Be able to reproducibly follow established procedures as well as troubleshoot experiments as necessary.
• Be able to perform molecular biology work in pre-PCR and post-PCR lab environment while adhering to safety guidelines
• Perform assays, cell culturing, PCR and other molecular biology techniques on an as-needed basis
• Accurately and consistently record experiment details, materials, results and conclusions using lab notebook and currently established methods
• Should be able to present findings and convey comprehensive project status reviews using technical reports and presentations
• Establish good sample tracking (LIMS) system and manage metadata information relevant to the samples/extracts/libraries
• Review and provide guidance to PI’s on inquiries about sequencing standards and services
• Write protocols and methods for datasets and scientific publications
• Support science communication efforts including lab tours, conferences, and writing articles
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL & COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
• Occasionally – Squatting/Crouching, Climbing, Kneeling
• Often – Reaching, Standing, Sitting, Walking, Stooping, Pushing, Pulling, Talking, Hearing, Seeing
o Speaking – Verbal communication using the English language
o Written Communication – Produce written work using the English language
o Seeing – Must be able to read reports and use computers and other office electronics
o Hearing – Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with co-workers
o Fingering/Grasping/Feeling – Must be able to write, type and use phone system
• Organization – Prioritize multiple, competing assignments
• Performance Level – Perform effectively in a fast paced, demanding work environment
• Travel Requirement – Must be willing to travel as necessary to meet business needs.
• Lifting/Moving Requirements – Minimum of 25 pounds occasionally
**ALL CANDIDATES MUST INCLUDE DESIRED SALARY WHILE APPLYING THROUGH https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=4132852 **
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Employability in the U.S. and pre-employment drug screen required.