Postdoctoral Fellow - Stanley Hazen Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7092747 (Ref #: 22201978720)
- Posting Date: Jan 25, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Positions are available at the level of either Postdoctoral Research Fellow and/or Junior Faculty for investigators with a strong interest in studies exploring new pathways involved in cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Major research programs in the laboratory focus on the interface between gut microbiome and cardiometabolic diseases; and therapeutic drug development efforts of these pathways.
The Hazen laboratory uses multidisciplinary approaches to study mechanisms through which gut microbiota contribute to cardiometabolic diseases and related inflammatory disorders. The laboratory is housed within the Lerner Research Institute, on the Cleveland Clinic campus. Research programs span from “bench-to-bedside”, including mechanistic studies involving genetically engineered microbes, recombinant microbial enzymes, host receptor-microbial-derived metabolite biological responses, animal models of disease, large scale human clinical studies, and both animal model and human interventional investigations.
The research program is well funded and highly productive, with frequent publications in both clinical and basic top tier research journals alike. Our research team has broad expertise and background, and includes both analytical and synthetic chemists, numerous basic scientists (biochemistry, genetics, cellular and molecular biology, physiology) and both translational and clinical researchers. Candidates need to be self-motivated individuals with excellent work ethic, organizational and communication skills. Background in microbiology, gut microbiota related / relevant research, animal models is a plus.
Competitive salary and fringe benefits.
Send CV and names/contact info of 3 references by email to:
Principal Investigator: Stanley Hazen, MD, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Cardiovascular & Metabolic Sciences
Lab Research Topics:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Metabolic syndrome
- Gut Microbiome
- Animal models of cardiometabolic disease and thrombosis
- Drug discovery and therapeutic intervention
- For more information about the lab’s research, please visit: https://www.lerner.ccf.org/cms/hazen/ or contact [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Effectively perform research
- Provide clear, detailed and thorough progress reports
- Develop mentorship expertise in disseminating techniques
- Writing and revising manuscripts
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work independently
- Able to work in a large group setting
- Willingness to learn new skill sets
- Self-motivated and posses a strong work ethic
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
- Complete CV
- List of 3 references
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Cardiovascular disease, Heart failure, Diabetes, Metabolism, Clinical biomarkers, Animal models, Drug discovery, Microbiology, Mass spectrometry, Bioinformatics, Gene editing, Cell biology, Molecular biology, Metagenomics, Assay development
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.