Postdoctoral Fellow (Epilepsy) - David Escobar Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7097595 (Ref #: 23440293088)
- Posting Date: Apr 6, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Neural Dynamics and Modulation Laboratory is a collaborative, multidisciplinary laboratory dedicated to advancing neuromodulation therapies for Parkinson's disease and epilepsy, translating research into patient care, and training researchers and students in engineering and science. We integrate neurophysiology, feedback control engineering, signal processing, data science, and data-driven mathematical modeling to develop precise, patient-specific neuromodulation therapies. The laboratory is part of the Department of Biomedical Engineering (Lerner Research Institute) and Neurological Institute at the Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland Clinic is a leader in clinical and hospital care, research, education, and health information. Newsweek ranked Cleveland Clinic as the No. 2 best hospital in the world in 2021.
These positions are suitable for those interested in advancing a research career in neuroengineering and neuromodulation in either academia or industry. The postdoctoral fellow will have the opportunity to:
- Receive training in neuroengineering, feedback (closed-loop) control engineering, data-driven mathematical modeling, data science, human electrophysiology, and neurophysiology.
- Learn about and help advance the development of new approaches to modulate neural activity in real-time in humans.
- Access cutting edge clinical research facilities.
- Participate in interdisciplinary research together with neurologists, neurosurgeons, radiologists, neuroscientists, and engineers.
Principal Investigator: David Escobar, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Biomedical Engineering
Lab Research Topics:
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS)
- Pathophysiology of Parkinson's disease
- Signal processing and data science
- For more information about the lab’s research, please contact Dr. Escobar at [email protected]
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation
- Collect human electrophysiological and behavioral data in the epilepsy monitoring unit.
- Implement and assess seizure onset zone localization methodology based on electrophysiological and imaging data.
- Characterize directed connectivity patterns and circuit dynamics associated with seizure onset in patients with mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.
- Write peer-reviewed publications and participate in the preparation of grants.
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Background in signal processing
- Extensive programming experience with MATLAB
- Expertise in animal or human electrophysiology (EEG, ECoG, EMG, single units) and neurophysiology
- Excellent communication skills
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
- Research statement that describes why you want to join our laboratory, how you will contribute to our research, your future career goals, and how this postdoctoral position will help you achieve these goals.
- Three references
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Deep brain stimulation (DBS), Epilepsy, Neurophysiology, Electrophysiology, Feedback control, Data science, Neuroengineering.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Cleveland Clinic Health System administers an influenza prevention program as well as a COVID-19 vaccine program. You will be required to comply with both programs, which will include obtaining an influenza vaccination, COVID-19 vaccination, or an exemption.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com