Heterogeneous Chemistry Postdoc
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Location: Berkeley, CA
- Job Number: 7098538 (Ref #: 52072)
- Posting Date: Apr 25, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionHeterogeneous Chemistry Postdoc - 95500
Division: CH-Chemical Sciences
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Chemical Physics program of the Chemical Sciences Division (https://chemistry.lbl.gov/) has an opening for a Heterogeneous Chemistry Postdoc to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will develop and utilize novel experimental methods to measure heterogeneous reactions at aqueous droplet and nanoparticle interfaces using a novel combination of synchrotron‐based (Advanced Light Source) X‐ray photoelectron spectroscopy, vacuum ultraviolet photoionization mass spectrometry as well as ultra‐high resolution atmospheric pressure mass spectrometry. The current project centers on understanding heterogeneous reaction mechanisms involving free radicals and Criegee intermediates.
What You Will Do:
• Conduct research to elucidate heterogeneous reaction mechanisms using the tools of synchrotron‐based mass spectrometry and photoelectron spectroscopy utilizing droplets and aerosol beams.
• Develop predictive kinetic models of heterogeneous and multiphase reactions.
• Prepare high‐quality manuscripts reporting your research for publication in peer‐reviewed journals.
• Employ excellent communication skills to present your research at international conferences.
• Contribute to our high safety standards, data records, documentation, and infrastructure that enable the high standard of research across the group.
• Provide research support, assistance and instruction to other members of the work group as needed.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in Experimental Physical Chemistry or a related discipline.
• Experience with but not limited to building instrumentation related to mass spectrometry, lasers or other analytical instruments.
• Experience or knowledge of kinetics and spectroscopy.
• Excellent communication for the preparation of research publications (both oral and written) reporting the results of your research.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with others in a collaborative research environment.
• Demonstrated ability to convey technical information through well‐written and concise documentation.
• Knowledge of data acquisition software such as Labview.
• Demonstrated track record of publications.
• This is a full-time, 1 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=227736 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.