Postdoctoral Fellowship - Global Change
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Argonne, IL
- Job Number: 7098653 (Ref #: 413044)
- Posting Date: Apr 12, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne National Laboratory, a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory located near Chicago, Illinois, has an opening for a Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship position in the Environmental Science (EVS) Division. The ERS division manages the ARM Southern Great Plains (SGP) site for the Department of Energy Biological and Environmental Research (BER) program and hosts several experts on surface remote sensing and radars that support the ARM program.
In this Postdoctoral Fellowship you can expect to:
- Work with an interdisciplinary team on innovative artificial intelligence (AI) / machine learning (ML) methods for a variety of data-driven approaches for earthsystem AI model development, data assimilation by using climate model emulators, reference PDE models assisted by AI emulators; and in-process scale models for parameter optimization using model-driven experiments.
- Collaborate with a team on research projects ranging from an ongoing continental scale convection-resolving regional scale climate modeling effort, development of the earthsystem model (E3SM), and atmospheric science questions ranging from cloud-aerosol interactions to cloud physics.
- Lead the development and testing of new ML/AI algorithms on AI exascale systems at the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) (https://www.alcf.anl.gov/polaris and https:/www.alcf. gov/aurora) and new and emerging hardware platforms (https://ai.alcf.anl.gov) for applications to AI for Science (AI4S).
- Participate in the initiative on AI4S and provides extensive opportunities for training and participating in various exciting AI4S related activities at the laboratory and ALCF.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team extending from climate sciences, applied mathematics and high-performance computing.
- Contribute technical expertise through analysis and support for programs and projects associated with HPC and computational problems related to earth system science and other environmental research programs.
- Develop, evaluate, and apply analytical approaches, synthesis activities, computational tools; compiles results, prepares reports, publications and documentation. In particular, this position is for projects related to applying and developing AI/ML algorithms and developing databased models in HPC environment, working with a team scientists interested in modeling and evaluating earthsystem models and multiple spatial scales and for a range of atmospheric and ecosystem phenomena.
- PhD (completed, typically within 3 years, or soon-to-be completed) in physical sciences and engineering or related fields.
- Technical knowledge in using and developing AI/ML algorithms for forecasting by using PDE models and solvers for physical phenomena, such as climate and fluid flows; of either atmospheric or ecological disciplines of earthsystems.
- Technical knowledge of using HPC systems
- Experience developing high-performance code using languages such as C, C++, and Fortran, and Python in conjunction with learning frameworks.
- Knowledge of atmospheric dynamics, process scale models and numerical computation techniques Experience with uncertainty quantification and statistical methods.
- Knowledge of using atmospheric observational datasets, data assimilation techniques.
- Familiarity with the use of GPU based systems for computing and program development
- Demonstrated success in clear, concise writing of technical papers and in interacting and communicating effectively with colleagues and collaborating with peers.
- Ability to think quickly and problem-solve when managing difficult situations.
- Considerable organizational skills and flexibility in coordinating a broad spectrum of activities.
- Ability to contribute as a peer in team software development efforts, adhering to team practices and goals.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Job FamilyArgonne Scholar Family
Job ProfileArgonne Scholar
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.