Postdoctoral Appointee - High-Performance Computing System and AI for X-Ray Science
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Location: Argonne, IL
- Job Number: 7098831 (Ref #: 413177)
- Posting Date: Apr 28, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We are currently seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher to work at the intersection of machine learning and high-performance computing(HPC) systems, and develop artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) solutions for DOE scientific user facilities. In particular, the project aims to develop AI/ML models and infrastructure to extract features in X-ray detector data at the Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne and Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS) at SLAC. Because such models can run at high speeds, thanks to advances in AI accelerators, it becomes feasible to extract salient information from in-flight data, in real time, and thus both enabling fast feedback and reducing downstream computational burden.
In this role you will conduct cutting-edge research in data science and deep learning applied to scientific problems in X-ray science, and play a key roles in developing physics-based AI/ML models, developing workflow and implement rapid ML model training on data center AI systems (e.g., ALCF AI Testbed and Argonne's Aurora exascale supercomputer), end-to-end model training workflows and explore AI accelerators for simulation applications.
- Recent PhD (typically completed within 0-3 years) in a computer science, physical sciences or engineering or related field.
- Comprehensive experience programming in one or more programming languages, such as Python.
- Experience with machine learning methods and deep learning frameworks, including tensorflow, pytorch.
- Software development practices and techniques for computational and data-intensive science problems.
- Experience in interdisciplinary research involving computer and material scientists.
- Experience with applied machine learning (e.g., successful projects that used ML to resolve scientific problems).
- Experience with high-performance computing and/or scientific workflow.
- Exceptional communication skills, ability to communicate effectively with internal and external collaborators and ability to work in team environment
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.