- Inso Biosciences
- Location: Ithaca, NY
- Job Number: 7100591
- Posting Date: May 23, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Posting - NGS Scientist Nanopore Sequencing
Job Title: NGS Scientist I
Job Division: Research & Development
Job Location: Ithaca, New York
Starting Date: Immediate Upon Hiring
Job Type: Full Time; On-Site Required
We believe in the importance democratizing biology and genomics require uniquely innovative tools that can remove the need for sample processing by hand. We envision a future of increased accessibility, where complex protocols are completed from start to finish with the push of a button.
Inso Biosciences is a venture-backed high-growth biotech startup developing hardware systems and tools for biological sample processing. Originating out of Cornell University’s Craighead research group, the same research group that founded Pacific Biosciences (PacBio), Inso Bio is using technology-driven innovations to transform the landscape of genomic sample preparation. Inso Bio began operations in early-2020, and is located in Cornell’s Kevin M. McGovern Center Incubator for Life Science Venture Development. For more information, please visit our website at www.inso.bio
We are looking for an NGS Scientist to join our team in the development of processes, protocols, and systems for genomic sample processing. You should be passionate about advancing biological sciences, building new technologies, and working in a fast-paced and dynamic entrepreneurial environment. You will need to be self-motivated, able to work in close-knit small teams, and able to progress technical goals without direct supervision. Your primary responsibilities will be in a laboratory setting, but will need to be flexible and open to non-technical needs as they arise. To be successful, you will need to be able to communicate and present your work, be cordial and professional, and able to think outside of the box. We are looking for someone whom is resourceful, diligent in their work, and an active problem solver.
• Perform experiments and assays relating to the development of genomic sample preparation technologies in the following areas:
• (1) Preparing DNA from a wide range of sample types for analysis and sequencing.
• (2) Processing biological samples to enrich and/or remove select components.
• (3) Processing and handling non-DNA biomolecules (eg. RNA, proteins, etc.).
• Develop and optimize existing experimental protocols and processes for sample prep.
• Bring new ideas and plans forward for improving in-house experimental processes.
• Mastery over Inso Bio’s proprietary microfluidic technology for sample prep.
• Microscopy imaging of device in bright field and fluorescence.
• Assisting in the maintaining of biological cell lines and agricultural plant samples.
• Recording, analyzing, and reporting progress on a regular basis as well as plan next steps.
• Collaboratively coordinate experiments, plan new experiments, and resolve technical issues.
• Effectively communicate findings both verbally as well as in writing.
Required Skills & Experience:
• PhD degree in biological sciences or related field (eg. Molecular Biology, Bio-engineering / Biomedical Engineering, etc.) and experience working in on genomic and DNA projects.
• Alternatively, a Masters degree in Biological Sciences or related field with 2+ years of on-the-job work experience working with biological samples in laboratory environments.
• Experience with Nanopore Sequencing is extremely desired.
• Mastery of fundamental biological wet-lab skills (eg. pipetting, DNA extraction & purification, PCR, tissue culture, other standard assay kits, etc.).
• Ability to efficiently execute experiments and critically analyze results across multiple projects.
• Ability to effectively communicate technical progress and outline proposed next steps.
• Ability to be adaptive and perform well in high-intensity dynamic environments.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a small team.
• Must be authorized to work lawfully within the United States of America.
Beneficial Skills & Experiences:
• Experience in working with microfluidic systems and technologies for biological applications is preferred.
• Experience with genomic sequencing, library preparation, and enzyme biochemistry is a must.
• Experience with molecular biology methodologies is a must (RT-PCR, DNA/RNA isolation, nucleic acid QC, etc.).
• Experience working with a wide range of sample types, including plants and insects is beneficial.
Reasons to Join Inso Biosciences:
• Opportunity to join a venture backed startup at the earliest stage and rapidly grow alongside the company in a fast-paced dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
• Opportunity to accelerate the trajectory of your career in a minimally hierarchal work setting where you have the ability to help shape the company’s early culture and core values.
• Opportunity for rapid growth, for developing a multitude of skill sets, and to ‘wear many hats’.
• Opportunity to be a part of a team dedicated to revolutionizing the future of genomics, and to contribute towards improving human health, agriculture, and fundamental science.
• Opportunity to drive innovation and play a critical role in new technology commercialization.
Job Application Instructions:
• Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
• Subject line should be labeled as: Job Application – NGS Scientist Position – [YOUR FULL NAME]
• Please send your resume as a PDF attachment and please send your cover letter as the body of the email.
• Please keep your attachment under 20-megabytes in size, and do not hyperlink your resume to cloud drives or otherwise. (Links will not be opened for security reasons)
• Please include in your cover letter when is the earliest date at which you can start.