Executive Director of Translational Medicine Department
- Sidra Medicine
- Location: Doha, Qatar
- Job Number: 7100815
- Posting Date: May 25, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSidra Medicine is seeking to appoint a new Executive Director of Translational Medicine Department to lead the next decade of biomedical research. The ED-TM is responsible for supporting the Chief Research Officer in establishing and implementing the long-term strategic goals for Clinical/Translational Research at Sidra Medicine. S/he is responsible for the development of the institutional research projects portfolio and ensuring that planned outcomes and high impact benchmarks are met. S/he is expected to have a solid track record as a scientist with exemplary productivity metrics, including publications and extramural funding, effective leadership of research groups/programs, and a dedication to mentorship and trainee development. In addition, s/he is expected to make significant contributions to the mission of Sidra Medicine through committee service and outreach activities and support for personalized medicine research. The ED-TM reports directly to the Chief Research Officer (CRO) and is expected to interact with hospital leadership, research PI’s and managers, clinicians and fellows, and with local/international collaborators to advance Sidra’s mission and vision. A highly competitive salary is offered.
• Works with the Chief Research Officer to identify and articulate the vision, strategic direction, and growth of the Translational Medicine Department, and develop implementation strategies to achieve research-guided academic medicine at Sidra Medicine.
• Develops collaborations and networking with local and international academic and industry collaborators to improve patient outcomes and increase the impact of Sidra’s Medicine Research inside and outside Qatar
• Mentors and oversees the Research Branch’s disease-centered research-programs in collaboration with clinical divisions and national/international stakeholders.
• Informs the budgeting processes of the Research Branch, particularly around capital investment in research equipment and infrastructure, and designing programs that are sustainable and high impact.
• Develops and nurtures relationship with other educational institutions in Qatar and abroad to establish scholarly exchange programs at various career stages.
• Participates in the development of scientific career paths and scientists’ evaluation
• Collaborates with the Research Administration and other senior staff to establish and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) designed to measure institutional progress toward strategic goals and objectives.
• Collaborates with Research Administration to develop strategies for revenue generation and commercialization of research/clinical assays
• Adheres to Sidra’s standards as they appear in the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies
• Adheres to and promotes Sidra’s Values
Qualifications and Experience
• MD, MD-PhD (preferred) or PhD degree in the biomedical field
• 15+ years of post-graduate research experience with progressive responsibilities in relevant field
• 3+ years full (tenured) PI experience or Full (tenured)l Professorship or Director-level experience in industry
• International recognition it a relevant field
• Extensive presentation and publication records (>100 peer review publications, oral presentation at international conferences) including publications in top journals in the relevant fields and authorship in leading positions (first/last/corresponding author)
• Lead Principal Investigator or coordinator of research funded through competitive applications
• Knowledgeable in scientific research methods and evaluation of research results, and ability to develop and maintain own knowledge and skills at the forefront of field
• Capability of leading at high levels, and participating at the executive level but still retaining the scientific expertise as expert matter.
• Ability to critically review science as substantiated by the participation in study sections, editorial board of internationally recognized scientific journal (top 10%), and review panels for scientific organization or funding agencies
• Proven strong leadership, and capability of mentoring at different level (direct and indirect reports, graduate student, post-doctoral and/or clinical fellows)
• Capability of managing multi-disciplinary teams and handling large budgets, and a proven ability to drive and manage national/international collaborative efforts, partnerships, and grants
• Expertise in translational/clinical research related to key areas of clinical research at Sidra Medicine, including: Human genetics (rare diseases, population genomics), human immunology (immune dysregulation, cancer immunology), mother and child health (pregnancy, reproductive health) and/or computational biology/genome informatics.
• Familiarity with different stage of clinical research and clinical trials
• Reputation for collegiality, collaboration and good leadership
• Fluency in written and spoken English
About Sidra Medicine
Sidra Medicine is a state-of-the-art academic medical center that functions to the level of the highest international standards. Its clinical focus is on the specialty care of women and children.
Sidra’s Vision is to be a beacon of learning, discovery and exceptional care, ranked among the top medical centers in the world. Achieving this vision encompasses three essential activities: World Class: Patient and Family Centered Care, Health Education, Biomedical Discovery. Sidra Medicine works closely with Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar, Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar University, and Qatar Biobank across the three activities to raise the standard of health and health care throughout the State of Qatar.
About Research Branch
Sidra Medicine's Research Branch includes a highly talented team of wet and dry lab scientists, technologists and support staff focused on Clinical/Translational research. Its mission is to discover and advance knowledge for the benefit of society, public health and economic prosperity in the field of biomedicine in Qatar. The Research Branch is located at Sidra Hospital’s Outpatient Clinic Building (OPC) and occupies two floors totaling 10,000m2 .
Research Branch is equipped with state-of the art genomic technologies including short and long read sequencing, spatial transcriptomics and single-cell sequencing platform, High-Performance Computer (HPC), state-of-the art imaging technology, and a zebrafish facility. The Research Branch is composed by the Translational Medicine Department, Core Facilities (Integrated Genomics Services, Advanced Cell Therapy, which includes a Clinical Trial Unit), and Research Administration.
The Research Branch’s strategy is based on three fundamental pillars, that provide near term as well as long term opportunities to improve patient care at Sidra and beyond: 1) Patient participation in research, 2) Advanced diagnostics and 3) Advanced therapies.
About Translational Medicine Department and Scientific Divisions
The Translational Medicine Department is the key enabler of the research branch’s strategy, aiming at leading the establishment of Sidra Medicine as a world-class academic medical center and a destination for patients seeking the best available care in the region. The Translational Medicine Department is structured in three scientific divisions (Human Immunology, Human Genetics and Mother and Child Health), and currently include 13 research groups (PIs), and a total of > 70 scientists. Research is conducted primarily on Sidra’ patients and also in collaboration with national and international academic institutions, industry, and consortia.
Overall, the mission of the Translational Medicine Department is to steer high quality, transformative biomedical research through multidisciplinary projects, capacity building, and training. Its vision is to provide to Sidra’s patients an advanced diagnostic and therapeutic experience beyond standard of care and be recognized as a global leader in capacity building and Precision Medicine. Read more about “Sidra Medicine, an Oasis of Science in the Middle East”.
Further information can be found on Sidra Medicine's website at: https://www.sidra.org/research/