- Sidra Medicine
- Location: Doha, Qatar
- Job Number: 7101000
- Posting Date: May 29, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionDEPARTMENT/BRANCH PROFILE
Sidra Medicine's Research Branch includes a highly talented team of wet and dry lab scientists, technologists and support staff focused on Basic, Translation, Clinical Trials and Informatics research. Its mission is to discover and advance knowledge for the benefit of society, public health and economic prosperity in the field of biomedicine in Qatar. The Research Branch is located at Sidra Hospital’s Outpatient Clinic Building (OPC) and occupies two floors totaling 10,000M2 and smaller “satellite laboratories” throughout the Hospital. It is structured into research groups with a number of Principal Investigators and state of the art core facilities to facilitate genomics and clinical research. Further information can be found on Sidra Medicine's website at: https://www.sidra.org/research/ where up to date information on research programs, activities and staff can be found.
The Staff Scientist, as part of a world class scientific team, significantly contributes in research programs by carrying out assigned projects, authoring/co-authoring several publications, presenting research results/findings in conferences and actively participating in securing extramural grant support. S/he supervises and trains junior scientific staff.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Makes decisions regarding the most efficient and scientifically appropriate completion of research activities within the assigned project scope.
• Performs complex scientific research on high throughput data, at the highest standards, under the general guidance and direction of an Investigator.
• Collects, analyzes and processes biomedical data, conducts statistical analysis, experiment design and database development.
• Communicates research results/findings to the relevant scientific community via published papers.
• Maintains external research relationships to identify and develop new funding sources.
• Makes significant contributions to technical proposal preparation and/or presentations.
• Presents ongoing work and findings to colleagues at both local and in academic conferences.
• Manages projects of a larger scope and makes substantial contributions to determining feasibility of goals and objectives in concert with the Investigator.
• Identifies problems and related technical issues leading to long-term, generic solutions; identifies a technical approach for solving problems and meeting research leadership and grantor needs.
• Provides ideas/recommendations to improve organizational efficiency at project and program levels.
• Works closely with the Investigators, Chairs and core facilities leaders to gauge/understand their needs.
• Monitors the work of others and redirects efforts to achieve task/project objectives or enhance quality.
• Contributes to positive co-worker/customer/investigator relationships through efficient interaction on current grants/projects.
• Supervises and trains Post-Doctoral Fellows and other members of staff.
• Mentors junior staff in the development of relevant skills.
• Attends academic events on behalf of Sidra.
• Adheres to Sidra’s standards as they appear in the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies
• Adheres to and promotes Sidra’s Values
In view of the evolving needs and opportunities within Sidra, this position may be required to perform other duties as assigned and reporting relationships may vary.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS – SELECTION CRITERIA
• PhD in a relevant field
• Successful completion of Post -Doc fellowship
• 5+ years of research experience post-PhD at the Staff Scientist – Associate level.
• Academic/Industrial research experience with publications in peer-reviewed academic journals and/or conferences
Job Specific Skills and Abilities
• Established distinguished technical expertise
• Broad knowledge of principles, practices and procedures in the field of specialization
• Effective problem-solving skills and ability to effectively apply experience, judgment, and creativity to both short- and long-term challenges
• Ability to organize and manage project plan and deliverables
• Ability to validate results to wider technical audience
• Critical reasoning and analysis
• Practiced mentoring and training of junior staff
• Presentation and communication skills to a wider audience
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
• Fluency in written and spoken English