- Virginia Tech
- Location: Blacksburg, VA
- Job Number: 7101088
- Posting Date: Jun 1, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Description15ob Description
We invite highly qualified postdoctoral applications in theoretical chemistry at Virginia Tech, working in Nick Mayhall’s group. The focus of this position is to develop new methods for simulating quantum systems on quantum computers.
This position is part of a larger collaborative project aimed at simulating strongly correlated molecules on small, high-fidelity quantum computers, designed by our collaborators.
Further, the position will require the incumbent to:
-Submit manuscripts based on work to peer reviewed journals and present results at national conferences.
-Provide oversight of day-to-day experiments, troubleshooting, and analysis of reactions performed by other research group members.
-Take the initiative in finding solutions to scientific problems that arise in the day-to-day research.
-Pursue research goals with routine consultation, but limited supervision.
-Supervise/train undergraduate, graduate students, and other postdocs in research procedures.
-Assist in project design, execution, and interpretation of research results.
-Prepare professional presentations, reports, and publications.
-Engage in collaborative work with peers to achieve research objectives.
- Doctoral degree in chemistry or an appropriate related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Strong background in theoretical chemistry methodologies.
- Demonstrably significant coding experience.
- Strong work habits and the ability to work independently as well as with a research group.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Strong communication skills.
- Knowledge of quantum simulations of molecules
- Evidence of good project management.
- Publications based on research, as primary author.
- Creativity, independence and high motivation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of personnel in the organization.