Postdoctoral Fellow – Murat Yildirim Lab
- Cleveland Clinic
- Location: Cleveland, OH
- Job Number: 7101183 (Ref #: ccf15906160)
- Posting Date: May 27, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We are looking for a postdoctoral scholar who will design and implement opto-mechanical systems for performing in vivo and in vitro large-scale optogenetics and imaging experiments. With these systems, we would like to understand how neural circuits generate patterned activity that gives rise to complex behaviors and phenotypes in health and disease states. It is a fully-funded and three-years long postdoctoral position. Extending its duration is possible depending on the project outcomes.
Who we are: We are highly-motivated multi-disciplinary research group focuses on cracking brain complexity in the lens of engineering, optics, photonics, behavioral and computational neuroscience for basic and translational neuroscience questions. Please visit our website, and check our lab policy and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) (yildirimlab.org).
Who we are looking for: We are looking for a curious scientist and/or engineer who is interested in working in a team-oriented environment and interested in making new discoveries in the basic and translational neuroscience. This position is ideal for someone with a desire to use their engineering and optics skills to develop next-generation optical microscopes and to gain skillsets for large-scale recordings, manipulations, and behavioral experiments. These technologies will help us to dissect neural circuits responsible for animal behavior in health and disease states.
Responsibilities: It is required to have a doctoral degree in Engineering and/or Physics, and to have expertise on one of these following topics: fluorescence microscopy, multiphoton microscopy, Fourier optics, image processing, machine learning, optimization, compressive sensing, brain functional imaging, and optogenetics. It is also required to have strong expertise with coding (MATLAB, R, or Phyton), excellent organizational, analytical, and oral and written communication skills, ability to analyze data and present it in a format suitable for publication, self motivation, and ability to function effectively in a team-oriented environment.
Preferences: It is preferred to have a doctoral degree in Physics, Mechanical, Electrical or Biomedical Engineering, and to have an expertise in multiphoton imaging and/or in endoscopic system development.
Interested candidates should submit CV, cover letter, and contact information of two-three references to Dr. Murat Yildirim, via email: [email protected] and/or [email protected].
Principal Investigator: Murat Yildirim, PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Neurosciences
Lab Research Topics:
- Large scale optical imaging and optogenetics
- Neural circuits in Learning and Memory
- Autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s Disease
- For more information about the lab’s research, please visit: https://yildirimlab.org or contact Murat Yildirim at [email protected].
- Lead independent research projects focusing on optomechanical system development
- Data analysis of optical imaging and optogenetics experiments
- Effective communication in oral and verbal
- Assist and train other lab personnel
- Self motivation, and ability to function effectively in a team-oriented environment
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Experience in multiphoton system development or endoscopic system development
- PhD degree in Physics, Mechanical, Electrical or Biomedical Engineering
- Ability to collaborate
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Murat Yildirim at [email protected].
- Cover letter
- Names and contacts of two-three references
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI, Cleveland Clinic, Learning and Memory, Multiphoton Imaging and Optogenetics, Autism, Alzheimer’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Neural Stem Cells, Hippocampus, Neural Circuits, Imaging, Optogenetics, Behavior, Computational Neuroscience.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com