Postdoctoral Associate - Epigenetics of Development and Aging
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Job Number: 7101947 (Ref #: spd-1719768)
- Posting Date: Jun 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
The Adams laboratory has a Postdoctoral Associate position available.
Dr. Adams’ lab investigates the impact of chromatin and epigenetics on development, aging and cancer. The lab is highly collaborative with other labs in San Diego, the US and elsewhere, for example collaborating with computational biologists, experts in specific mouse models of development, cancer and aging, and clinicians. For more information, see http://www.padamslab.org and Twitter - @AdamsBioAging
Applications are invited from ambitious, independent and motivated candidates to join the lab of Professor Peter D. Adams investigating the epigenetics of development and aging at Sanford-Burnham-Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, San Diego. In recent unpublished studies, we have found that specific epigenetic dysregulation during embryogenesis is translated into normal young adulthood but premature aging in later life. New NIH R01 funding (including post doc salary) has been obtained to investigate links between embryonic development and late-life aging in the melanocytic lineage. This project will be performed in collaboration with Dr. Melissa Harris, UAB (https://www.uab.edu/cas/biology/people/faculty/melissa-l-harris), an expert on melanocyte development and aging. This project has potential to establish new paradigms regarding the relationship between development and aging.
The project will employ state-of-the-art molecular and cellular biology approaches, including ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, DNA methyl-seq and other large-scale epigenomic and chromatin analyses, including at the single-cell level and spatial “-omics” at the single cell level; cell imaging; state-of-the-art gene manipulations using RNAi and CRISPR technology, applied to mouse embryogenesis, melanoblasts, melanocyte stem cells and melanocytes. Successful applications should have practical expertise with mouse embryogenesis and expertise studying melanoblasts, melanocyte stem cells and melanocytes is an advantage.
San Diego is an outstanding scientific environment and a fabulous place to live.
- Pro-actively and semi-independently lead a project focused on epigenetics of development and aging.
- Work with in vivo wild type and genetically modified mouse models, from embryogenesis to aging.
- Investigate in vivo and ex vivo development and function of the melanocytic lineage, including in vivo reporter and lineage tracing assays, isolation of embryonic melanoblasts and adult melanocyte stem cells for molecular epigenetic characterization and functional assays.
- Perform cell and molecular biology experiments
- Generate hypotheses, design experiments, interpret data, trouble shoot and optimize experiments
- Collaborate and synergize with other members of the lab to promote lab synergies
- Present results to lab members at weekly lab mtgs.
- Present results and data within SBP, local La Jolla mtgs and national and international meetings, as appropriate.
- Maintain and initiate collaborations between Adams lab and other labs in SBP, San Diego, US and worldwide.
- Candidates should have, or be working towards, a PhD or equivalent degree in a biological science
- Experience and/or expertise in practical expertise with mouse embryogenesis is required, and expertise studying melanoblasts, melanocyte stem cells and melanocytes and epigenetics is an advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Knowledge of molecular biology of chromatin and/or epigenetics is ideal
- Knowledge of statistical methods applied to biology
- Familiarity with public bioinformatics databases and resources.
- Computational expertise is an advantage, but not essential.
- Communicates effectively and collaborates well with Principal Investigators and their team members
- Have strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical and time management skills
- Excellent data presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.