Research Assistant I/II - Aging, Cancer and Immuno-oncology
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Job Number: 7101950 (Ref #: spd-1986898)
- Posting Date: Jun 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
A Research Assistant I or II position (depending on qualifications) is available in the laboratory of Dr. Peter Adams.
Dr. Adams’ lab investigates the impact of chromatin and epigenetics on cellular senescence, aging and cancer. In particular, the lab hypothesizes that age-associated changes in chromatin and epigenetic programming contribute to the dramatic age-associated increase in incidence of cancer. While age is the biggest single risk factor for most cancers, the reason for this is current poorly understood. The specific project will involve identification of novel mechanisms that mediate the pro-aging and pro-cancer effects of senescent/aged cells in tissues, specifically secretion of “cytoplasmic chromatin fragments” (CCF) (Ivanov et al., JCB, 2013; Dou at al., Nature 2015 and 2017; Vizioli et al., Genes Dev, 2020). There will be tremendous opportunities to learn state-of-the-art biological concepts and techniques, in a collaborative, dynamic and exciting research environment.
For additional information on the lab see http://www.padamslab.org and twitter - @AdamsBioAging
The Research Assistant in the Adams lab will be learning new biology and technologies, as well as applying existing knowledge to procedures and bench-work.
- Performs molecular and cell biology experiments relevant to new understanding of biology of aging and cancer, under supervision of Dr. Adams and a senior post-doc in Dr. Adams’ lab.
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments or day-to-day work
- Keeps written records of experiments and data organization
- Troubleshoots problems and develops solutions to technical problems of moderate to high scope using independent thinking, literature, and colleagues as resources to solve problems
- Provides interpretation and analysis of results
- Presents results and project progress to other lab members informally and at weekly lab meetings.
- Maintains various reagent collections, and inventories
- Orders lab supplies as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological science, chemistry or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained
- Prior lab experience is a plus
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Be responsible and have strong time management skills
- Able to analyze and resolve issues of moderate complexity
- Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for emerging health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
Please mention you saw this ad on PostdocJobs.com