Postdoctoral Associate - Cardiac Disease Modeling
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: San Diego, CA
- Job Number: 7101954 (Ref #: spd-1916779)
- Posting Date: Jun 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
A Postdoctoral Associate position is available in the Bodmer Lab.
The Bodmer Laboratory is interested in the molecular mechanisms of organ formation, how patterns are generated and how cells and tissue types assume their correct fates and functions. The Bodmer lab is pursuing this interest by studying the genetic functions and interactions that specify heart development and maintain heard performance in the Drosophila model, in the hope of elucidating basic principles in organogenesis and functionality.
The candidate is expected to have solid experimental and academic background in molecular biology and genetics, as well as in development and organ physiology and metabolism using cells and model organisms.
The projects will entail discovery and in depth analysis of genetic pathways involved in heart development and establishment of heart function and contractility in the genetic model organism Drosophila, using forward and reverse genetic approaches, including evaluation of candidate genes emanating from congenital and adult heart disease patients’ genomics information. The aim is to build genetic models of various heart diseases.
The candidate is expected to learn and perform physiological, biochemical and genetic experiments on the Drosophila heart (including microdissection, imaging, single cell RNAseq of sorted cardioblasts and sophisticated genetic manipulations). Classic genetic experiments (crosses, combinations) and transgenic manipulations (including CRISPR/Cas) will be employed to study the development, metabolism and functional properties of the Drosophila heart with the aim to dissect and understand the molecular pathways that build the heart and maintain its function. New genes and pathways will be evaluated in zebrafish heart and in human iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes. Computational and bioinformatics analysis also plays a big part in this project.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should apply online to the SBP career site by submitting one PDF document with a cover letter, CV, references and list of any publications or accomplishments.
- Independently design and perform experiments and procedures
- Demonstrate ability to adapt methods according to project priorities
- Provide independent experimental design and planning
- Be able to analyze and interpret data from different sources and draw relevant conclusions
- Be able to present results and accurately document experiments
- Contribute to writing of reports and manuscripts
- Work collaboratively across lab functions
- Ph.D. degree in Science is required
- Proof of Fully COVID-19 Vaccine
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- The ability to work independently and to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interactive and collaborative team
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute (SBP) is an independent nonprofit medical research organization that conducts world-class, collaborative, biological research and translates its discoveries for the benefit of patients. The Institute is recognized for its world-class NCI-designated Cancer Center and the Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics. The Institute invests in talent, technology and partnerships to accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries that will have the greatest impact on patients.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.