Postdoctoral Associate - Cancer Research
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: La Jolla, CA
- Job Number: 7101958 (Ref #: spd-2042493)
- Posting Date: Jun 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Research in the Commisso lab (www.commissolab.com) uses a variety of cell biology techniques to study biological mechanisms that support cancer cell viability. Our mission is to understand how metabolic stress influences the tumor ecosystem and to harness this information to develop novel therapeutic modalities for cancer. For recent examples of our exciting work see PMID: 33653692 and PMID: 32200349.
A Postdoctoral Associate position is available to study the role of macropinocytosis in tumor cell fitness. Under limited direction, the Postdoctoral Associate will plan and manage all aspects of a research project from research design to publication.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research design and planning
- Experimentation and trouble-shooting
- Data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Data recording and compliance
- Management of collaborations
- Results summarization
- Preparation of text and figures for grants and manuscripts
- Ph.D. in a biological science.
- Experience with culturing mammalian cancer cells in vitro and fluorescent microscopy are required.
- Proof of fully COVID-19 vaccination
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and publish research projects
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Be responsible and have strong time management skills
- Able to analyze and resolve issues of high/moderate complexity
- Possess strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrate professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, Prism, ImageJ/Fiji
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.