Postdoctoral Associate - Tumor Initiation and maintenance
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: La Jolla, CA
- Job Number: 7101988 (Ref #: spd-1977826)
- Posting Date: Jun 8, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
A Postdoctoral Associate is needed to study molecular pathways involved in human diseases with the goal of developing novel treatment approaches. Specifically, the candidate for this position will focus on deciphering the role of repetitive elements (e.g. endogenous retroviruses and retrotransposons) in cancer and/or neurological diseases and explore therapeutic strategies that exploit their dysregulation for patient treatment.
To learn more about Dr. Spruck Lab please click the link below, Charles Spruck, Ph.D. | Sanford Burnham Prebys (sbpdiscovery.org)
- Perform various molecular biology techniques, including western blotting, immunoprecipitation, immunofluorescence imaging, qPCR, and in vitro enzymatic reactions, among others
- Perform cell culturing, transfection, and imaging
- Work with preclinical animal (mouse) models of human disease
- Generate hypotheses, design experiments, interpret data, trouble shoot, and optimize experiments
- Present results at internal and external meetings
- Ph.D. in a biological science field
- Proof of fully COVID-19 vaccination
Knowledge, Skills and/or abilities:
- The candidate should possess a strong background in molecular biology techniques
- Have general knowledge of cancer and/or neurological diseases and immunology
- Exhibit excellent data presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email [email protected]. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.