Research Assistant II - Compound Management
- Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute
- Location: La Jolla, CA
- Job Number: 7102655 (Ref #: spd-1957063)
- Posting Date: Jun 14, 2022
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and talented professional to join our High Throughput Screening Team in support of the Prebys Center’s portfolio of therapeutics projects. The Center has a diverse team of biologists and medicinal chemists who need your help to keep compounds flowing so discoveries can keep happening. We have a compound collection of over 1 million compounds for you to help oversee. Working with team leadership and Center scientists, you will support numerous projects through compound procurement, management, organization, quality control, and distribution. This role is vital to SBP’s implementation of its therapeutic portfolio as it is essential that compounds are tracked, stored, and distributed properly.
This role requires hands-on management of small molecules in a variety of solvents as well as the operation of laboratory robotics.
- Position is full-time, Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Candidates within a commutable distance of San Diego, CA are encouraged to apply
- What You’ll Do
You will provide samples from compound inventory to various collaborating groups as requested. This may include screening plate copies, quality control plate copies, dose-response/IC50 plates, and individual cherry-pick compounds. Compounds may be powders or solutions in vials, tubes, or plates. Requests will come from researchers of all levels (technician, graduate student, post-doctoral fellow, principal investigator, professional staff).
- About Us
Sanford Burnham Prebys is dedicated to advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health. We have a cooperative open campus, located at the nexus of San Diego’s biotech community. The Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics at SBP is the world’s leading academic drug discovery and development organization, an epicenter for innovative approaches to accelerate the discovery of new drugs to help save lives and treat disease. This is an exciting opportunity to directly contribute to a broad spectrum of drug discovery projects with the end goal of ultimately benefiting patients. Our portfolio includes cancer, neurodegeneration, and cardiovascular metabolic disease targets, among others. We are passionate about collaboration and work extensively with lead researchers and key opinion leaders from academia and industry. The successful candidate will join a team involved in diverse applied research activities and will work side-by-side with experienced scientists on projects in small molecule drug discovery.
- Receive and store compounds
- Register compounds in an in-house informatics system
- Reconstitute new compound stocks as required
- Use the in-house informatics system to track, identify and locate of all chemical samples in Compound Management
- Execute compound management requests on integrated automated storage, retrieval, and liquid handling systems
- Generate compound plates for testing using robotics and acoustic dispensing
- Program and operate liquid handling equipment
- Assist with reformatting purchased compound libraries
- Perform purity assessment of small molecules using UHPLC-MS systems
- Assist in various bench level experiments to optimize performance of laboratory automation and to advance the science of compound management
- Prepare, order, and maintain stocks of necessary reagents, solutions and supplies
- Attend team meetings and provide progress updates to the group
- Develop and maintain in-depth technical knowledge base
- Foster inter-team relationships to enhance capabilities and adaptability
- Support high-throughput screens as needed
- Other related tasks as required.
- Adhere to site employee health and safety (EHS) requirement
- Bachelor’s Degree + 2 years’ experience OR higher degree + 0 years’ experience
- Laboratory experience and knowledge of experimental design required
- Experience with laboratory automation and compound management is preferred
- Must have proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 applications, especially Excel
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19, proof required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES:
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and with internal and external investigators
- Must be able to handle a variety of tasks and shifting priorities simultaneously, as well as effectively solve problems
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a highly motivated team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to precision is a must
- Possess a meticulous laboratory approach
- Ability to learn and use new techniques, instrumentation, and software is essential
- Be responsible, organized, motivated and a problem solver
- Have strong time management skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.